1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cy Young Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, Verlander has been relatively mortal the last month or so as the Tigers have "charged" (well actually kinda more like stumbled) into the division lead.

He certainly would not be a bad pick, but he's way off from last year, when he was an absolute no-brainer.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with the belief that relievers can't be the best pitchers in a league and hence Cy Young winners (voters have agreed with me on occasion), but I'd still pick Dickey.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Argument meaning, "There, I made a case (however shitty) for the best pitcher on my favorite team because I was bored and felt like posting."

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Why so?

I just think most modern closers don't impact a significant number of games, nor the most significant high-leverage portion of the games in which they do appear.

Now, I do think a Rivera in '96-type reliever could be the best pitcher in the league. But until we get back to the days of "firemen", and we will someday, the one-inning guys just don't pitch enough to be all that valuable. At least, not as valuable as the guys who pitch 220 innings a season.

Especially not as the rate of teams winning games when leading after the 6th, 7th or 8th innings hasn't changed significantly since the Deadball Era, despite all the evolution in bullpen usage. Most teams win about 90 percent of those games, and they do no matter how good or bad their relievers are.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think we disagree much BuckW. Relievers qualify for historically exceptional seasons. Our definitions of that term may vary, but that's degree, not kind.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My argument against closers is based on the number of mediocre to good starters we've seen take over as excellent closers. It's harder to pitch 200 innings over 33 games than 80 innings over 60 games, numbers some elite closers fail to reach. And it shows all the time. Look at how the recent attempts to make young relievers into starters have gone.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can buy the argument of Dickey. Easily. Hell of a year. But anyone who leaves Gonzalez out of the conversation is foolish.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There are four good candidates in the National League, and Gonzalez is one of them. His walk rate bothers me, though.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me a bit, especially seeing how he walked 92 and 91 in the last two years. In the 70s this year. I'll take that and be happy. That seemed to be all anyone wanted to talk about when the Nats traded for him. OH MY GOD HE WALKS THE PARK!!!!

Not so much this year.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. He took a step forward this year, and he may very well take another next year. But consider the walks per nine innings of the pitchers we're discussing in this thread:

Kyle Lohse: 1.6
    Jered Weaver: 2.0
    Hiroki Kuroda: 2.0
    Jake Peavy: 2.0
    R.A. Dickey: 2.1
    Johnny Cueto: 2.1
    Felix Hernandez: 2.1
    Matt Cain: 2.1
    Chris Sale: 2.3
    Justin Verlander: 2.3
    Clayton Kershaw: 2.5
    David Price: 2.5
    Matt Harrison: 2.5
    Gio Gonzalez: 3.4

No starter with even an outside shot at a Cy Young Award comes close to Gonzalez's 3.4 walks per nine. If he corrects that, he will be really special.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Price and Dickey. Just wish Sal Maglie was here to see a knuckleballer win the Cy Young, for Jim Bouton's sake.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

97 snappers.

Draft saved Draft deleted