1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cy Young Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Kershaw? Are you looking at last year's stats?
    Weaver goes for his 20th tonight. But I'm not saying he should get the Cy Young.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yes I'm a fanboi. But the idea of pitching is to get the batter out, so knuckleball or not, it's not cheap. Every pitcher in the league is free to add the knuckleball to their repertoire if they are capable/willing.

3. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

Cueto yes, Chapman no. Kimbrel has more saves, less blown saves, better ERA, better WHIP and more K/9 inn. Even if Chapman pitched a bit more he would still have a worse save percentage, ERA and likely WHIP.
    [/quote]

True, but to be fair, Chapman wasn't a closer for the first two or three months of the season

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

- Dickey
    - Gonzalez
    - Kimbrel Kershaw (I wish I could put Kimbrel here, but no one with 60 IP can be the best pitcher in the league.) And yes, Kershaw. He's got a few more walks than last year, but otherwise, he's been every bit as good as he was last year. ERA leader, WHIP leader, could still end up as strikeouts leader. His 12-9 record has everything to do with his run support, not his pitching.

Saw a strong post from Dayn Perry at CBS yesterday, about how Dickey has earned every one of his 20 wins. No gave-up-5-runs-but-my-offense-scored-8 wins for him this year.

He's had a quality start in every single one of them, and not a bare-minimum QS, either. A quality start.

Gio's benefited from four wins in which he didn't reach the bare-minimum standards of a QS.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/20389936/ra-dickey-has-actually-earned-his-20-wins

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Quality stuff, Buck. As usual.

Hell, I'm just happy a Nationals pitcher is in the conversation.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As a Braves fan, I wish he'd lose more. But as a baseball fan, I'm glad someone on that staff is allowing us to stop talking about Strasburg for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Unless the Rays win their last six games and sneak in as the second wild card, no way Price beats out Verlander. When the performances are that close (and they are), I think the edge still goes to the player who helped spur his team to October.

Love that Gonzalez is in the conversation after getting traded about 112 times (or four times in a little more than six years, including twice by the White Sox). Remember watching him pitch in the Southern League and hoping he could put everything together eventually.

8. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I'm a Yankee fan, but if Dickey doesn't win, somebody (other than myself, obviously) deserves to get punched in the dick.

How he's managed to win 20 games, pitching for a team stocked with borderline Triple-A talent, is truly one of life's great mysteries.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You and me both.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That seems to be Sonner's Gio Gonzalez argument.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It seems silly to blame a player for the failure of his teammates.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cy Young, unlike the MVP, really is for best pitcher. Team success isn't supposed to be as large of a factor for this award.

I think Price wins, not only because I think he really is the best pitcher in the league this year (albeit by a slim margin over Verlander and Weaver/Hernandez/Sale), but also because Verlander's numbers were so outrageously good in 2011 that this year feels a little like a letdown.

The truth is, Verlander is not far off from where he was last year. His BABIP is about 50 points higher (still far below the league average), but he's been dominant in every other area. I wouldn't feel bad, by any means, if he won again.

Draft saved Draft deleted