1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cy Young Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be interesting to compare the run production of the Nats and the Mets behind Gonzalez and Dickey. Dickey won 20 games with a knuckleball pitching for a pretty bad baseball team.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

5.3-something support for Gio.
    4.8-something support for Dickey.

I think that's what I saw.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Silly thread, we all know that who ever has the most wins should get the Cy Young. Winners win god damnit and the award was named after the pitcher that won the most.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jeter.

Both leagues.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, you got the old saw out of your system, JC. Now who do you think should win?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Dickey and Verlander

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Anyone without a bias would go Dickey. He beats Gio in everything except wins (21-20). Dickey has a lower ERA, WHIP and averages nearly a full inning more per start.

Hmmm, I'll take the guy who pitches more than seven inning per start and does so by giving up less runs and base runners.

As far as who is third (Gio obviously second) I would vote for Matt Cain. Second most innings next to Dickey, third best ERA behind Kershaw and Dickey and has 16 wins (four more than Kershaw).

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

And as good as Chapman and Kimbrel have been, Fernando Rodney has been better. Different leagues but if you would vote for Kimbrel/Chapman in one league you'd have to vote for Rodney in the other.

10. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

I think both Reds (Cueto/Chapman) had great shots until their recent skids. If Cueto had avoided dropping three straight and if Chapman didn't have this arm fatigue, you could make a solid case for both of them. Still can, really. But, we're not playing the "if" game ... It just feels weird giving it to a knuckleballer. Seems "cheap" if you will. Cueto could still grab 20 wins and taking into consideration IP and the ball park he plays, he could scoot ahead of Gio.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Cueto yes, Chapman no. Kimbrel has more saves, less blown saves, better ERA, better WHIP and more K/9 inn. Even if Chapman pitched a bit more he would still have a worse save percentage, ERA and likely WHIP.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I think price will win it and would be a deserved winner but Verlander is having a damn fine season too.

Verlander is leading the league in WAR, IP, Ks and ERA+

R.A. Dickey won number 20 yesterday. Hes 20-6 for a team with 72 wins. He leads the league in K's and is just .01 behind Kershaw for the league lead in ERA.

Hes probably my pick for the Cy Young.

Draft saved Draft deleted