1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cutting full-time hours

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Dec 23, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

... just heard today that one of my old shops (in arizona) moved all of its employees back to 37.5 hours ... guess that's better than getting laid off or closed down, but that hurts ... is this common? is 37.5 still considered full time?

it's tough out there, eh?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

In some places, yes it is.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hell, 30 hours is considered full time here.

4. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

i imagine the work load hasn't decreased by 2.5 hours per person, though ... sigh ... that was a great paper when I worked there several years ago -- well, it wasn't that great but we had a lot of fun and I learned a lot (usually the hard way) ...

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's a bullshit move, but it's legal in some places. Most companies schedule you for 8.5 hours a day (42.5 hours a week) and factor in your lunch break so that your paycheck comes out to 40 hours even.

This way, they schedule you for 8 hours a day and THEN factor in your lunch break, cutting your weekly paycheck to 37.5 hours. You're still full-time, you still get your mandatory break for working 8 hours, but the company doesn't have to pay you as much.

I know of at least a couple Western papers that have gone to that in recent years. Ain't the first time.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My company wants us to work 9 hours (1 hr unpaid lunch). For the life of me, I cannot spend an hour a day on lunch.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I used to be on a standard 37 1/2 at one of my stops.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I worked at a shop that did the same thing. It obviously equates to a paycut for workers.
    Since most of us do 50 or more hours for 40 hours of pay any way, this is just a way to get reporters to donate more time to the company.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So you slowly munch a sandwich for 30 minutes, then you end up back at your desk doing work-related stuff for the other 30 minutes, and the company comes out ahead. Brilliant!

10. Scouter

Scouter Member

Came out this week that my shop's hourly workers' hours are being cut from 40 to 35. Needless to say, I'm a little peeved.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

And that one-hour break works especially well on thenight desk, where if you get 15 minutes to nuke and eat a frozen dinner, you're lucky.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Bob Young is crying and he doesn't know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted