1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cuts in Winston-Salem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A person with knowledge of the situation in Winston-Salem sent me this, if anyone knows any more please get in touch:

Cuts were announced Friday at the Winston-Salem Journal. Joe Menzer, the Panthers writer since 1995, was let go. I don't know for a fact who the second cut was, but word has it that it was Dan Kibler, the outdoors writer since Biblical times.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A shame. Winston-Salem is a surprisingly (to outsiders) vibrant area, and the product is well-entrenched on the second tier of Carolina papers (behind Raleigh and Charlotte), which still makes it a respectable read. Plus it's the third corner of the Media General Holy Trinity, so that's a somewhat harrowing prospect for those of us in the chain. I would have jumped at a W-S job because I like North Carolina a bunch, but I guess it's not happening in my lifetime.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm glad Dan Collins survived, but this really sucks. I hope the guys cut find something quickly.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Joe Menzer is a good man and a good friend of mine....another victim of newsroom budget cuts.

No idea what he'll do next, but if you're lucky enough to see his resume cross your desk, grab it.

5. boots

boots New Member

Good folks at W-S. Media General is starting to become a very scary operation. It's been going to the dark side for about the last decade.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

the very name Media General smacks of evil

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Media General isn't McClatchy, but it's closer to that than Odgen and Mean Dean the Job-Cuttin' Machine.

9. el penguino

el penguino New Member

For those of us who might happen to work for Media General, how concerned should we be about this?

10. Not trying to be alarmist, penguino, but these things don't happen in a vacuum.

11. boots

boots New Member

Personally, I'd say keep a supply of KY on hand, litterally.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well YOU would of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted