1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutbacks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Utopian2630

Utopian2630 New Member

Hey Everyone,
    I thought I'd jump in on this thread since I'm in the same boat right now. I got laid off 2 to the day weeks before X Mas and NO ONE saw the writing on the wall. All we knew was this new exec. from the corporate office wanted to take a tour of our new office and introduce himself to all of us. Jokingly I said outside to our managing editor during our smoke break that he was coming in to shut us down....if only it wasn’t a joke. So needless to say X Mas was a little dicey and several weeks after I landed a job writing ads at the corporate office for a major sporting goods retailer. 3 months after taking that job, I get laid off because the big bosses decided they wanted more graphics and less text. Though I'm considering going back to school for my graduate degree, I'm been just trying to network and freelance as much as I can. I'm not doing sports right now, instead I'm doing features but it still keeps me 'in the game' and my chops fresh.

Sure there are times when I am still bitter and somewhat jealous of my friends who have more mundane (i.e. stable) careers, but I truly believe we've all got a place. Some belong in a cubicle, others in a newsroom but we all have a place. Use this time (and the unemployment) to find yourself.... and your place.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

flash,

sorry to hear of your news. Best of luck with your job search!

Draft saved Draft deleted