1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Custom-made shirts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I just made an appointment at a clothing store to get a couple of custom-fitted dress shirts made. I'm tired of shirts off-the-rack not fitting well, so I decided to begin making the investment.

Wondering what other people's experiences have been, if anyone else has ever had clothing specially made. Good investment? Waste of money? Only way to go?

For the record, I'm a pretty small guy - about 5-8, 140-145 or so. I find that most shirts I buy off the rack are too loose somewhere, whether it be the waist, billowing in the back, or way too big in the neck (very frequent).

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many shirts?
    How much did it cost?

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Getting two. White and blue. Sounds like it'll be $150-$160 a pop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got one as a gift for a wedding I was in. They're really nice, but not worth the money.

I'm pretty tough to fit, since I'm a hair under 6-foot-3, but it's still not worth it unless you're rich and have nothing better to spend your money on or really, really need one.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a place around here that does it for about 80 apiece, buy four and get the fifth free. Always wanted to try it, haven't done it yet.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I'm definitely not rich!

But I do feel like I'm purchasing peace of mind.

I just hope they do what I want them to do. Mostly, that means staying tucked and staying still.

7. Mizzougrad96

How often would you wear the shirts?

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I wear a dress shirt to the office/on assignment every day.

9. Mizzougrad96

Then it's probably worth the investment to buy two.

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I have been getting shirts custom made for years, and there is no comparison with off the rack. Be sure to get them tailored all the way down your torso, that is what keeps them tucked in. If you are thin, get darts up the front and back to eliminate the extra material that pulls out of the waistband. You are paying for them, so be sure to get what you want, don't settle. Unless you don't wear a watch you will need two different cuff diameters, the cuff diameter on the wrist you wear your watch on should be larger. The tailor should measure that wrist with the watch on.

11. Mizzougrad96

With most tailored shirts they'll make free (or very inexpensive) adjustments when you need them.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Get custom shirts at Lands End - $75 a pop. Great Quality. took a few attempts to nail down proper fit but now all set.l

Draft saved Draft deleted