1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curious quote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 11, 2008.

1. From SI's piece on black golfing pioneer Lee Elder: "It's hard to explain what it was like for Lee," says Gary Player, who as apartheid reigned in 1971, boldly invited Elder to play in the South African PGA Championship. Lee accepted. "How do you explain," asks Player, "what it was like being a Jew during the war?"

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1727848,00.html

"The war"? Like...the Second World War? In which six million Jews were massacred?

I don't care very much, but that's one seriously bad analogy right there.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think this warrants a "W. JW." if anything ever did. Jesus, Gary.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I'm pretty sure he meant Greneda.

A good rule of thumb, though, is never make an analogy involving Jews, World War II, Nazis and, well, anything.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

W. JW? Not sure I understand what that means.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wow. Just wow. It's the new buzzphrase here at SportsJournalists.com. ;D

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmmm...never seen it listed that way. Has it been added to the SportsJournalists.com Style Guide thread?

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If not, it should be. Diabeetus to the courtesy phone, por favor.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe it's not as bad an analogy as it is a lack of awareness of the depth of the South African atrocities.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Player said it and the writer decided it would add to the context of the story. It passed through his mind, the editor's mind and the publisher's mind and then into the minds of the readers. If someone thought it was wrong, it would have not run in the story. Maybe it's a jumbled analogy, but it's a good enough quote to get in there.

10. What do you mean?

Isn't it a lack of awareness of the depth of NAZI atrocities?

11. I'm not criticizing Hack or SI, though some "we-don't-believe-this-analogy-is-valid" aside would have been good - I'm criticizing Player.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well.... a writer and editor CAN run the quote simply because they believe it will get a big reaction, paying no mind to legitimate context. That is possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted