1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curious ... is this "poetic" license?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 4, 2012.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

SI's great Tim Layden was assigned to follow Kansas as it prepped for the national championship game. Early in the story, he had this scene setter graph describing the KU coaching staff meeting after the Ohio State win.

The quote from Self ... he said that to the media after the Ohio State game. Is it just me or does it sound like he's saying that in the room with his coaches?

Not intended to rip Layden, not a huge complaint, just curious what the SportsJournalists.com Nation thinks. Should the attribution have been "he had said earlier" or "he said after the game."?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you think adding that would improve the story?

3. swamp trash

swamp trash Guest

Maybe a tiny bit disingenuous, but I don't have a problem with it.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think he (or an editor) could have sidestepped the problem by putting in a paragraph break at the quote, and then adding in the attribution, "Self said earlier at a press conference." But I don't think it rises to the level of an ethical violation or anything.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Sports Illustrated rarely does anything like that. The "I told them" part at the beginning of the quote speaks for itself.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So why is Manning a lame duck, but Hinson (hired as head coach at Southern Illinois) not?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No it doesn't. All he's saying is that's what he told the players (who weren't present at the scene described). That doesn't mean the entire quote was said earlier.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can see what you're saying, but I didn't misunderstand the quote.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean someone else might have.

Draft saved Draft deleted