1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs-White Sox obstruction

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bueller, Jun 24, 2007.

1. bueller

bueller Member

Anybody watching this on WGN? Wild play.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

yup. I can remember stuff like this in my little league days. .

3. clarkington

clarkington Member

Yeah but the sound on my TV is all f-ed up, what happened? Looks like sox got crazy double play then they ruled everyone was safe. Ozzie got tossed. Crazy.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

deRosa doubles to right, but Pie tags from second... Pagan runs into Uribe rounding second, and he's thrown out, but since DeRosa is standing on second at the time, he gets caught in a rundown too.

Pie tries to score from third in the DeRosa rundown, and the Sox get Pie in a rundown and tag him out. DeRosa is on first with 2 outs. After a meeting long enough to forge a Middle East peace pact, the umpires rule that Pie goes to third, Pagan at second, and the outs are erased.

Did they make the right call.. I have no idea.

5. bueller

bueller Member

If a play is being made on the obstructed runner (Pagan in this case), yes, the ball is dead. But was a play being made on Pagan at the time of the obstruction?

6. That was the weirdest play I've ever seen in my 30-plus years of following this game.

7. So is Uribe not allowed to field his position?

8. bueller

bueller Member

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm just dense, but I am already lost. I'm one of those who needs the full context first -- how many runners on, how many outs, etc. -- and for some reason I can't follow this.

10. Right, but it looked like he was just covering second in the event of a throw there? Maybe that's just a judgment call for the umpires.

I get it now, though - they have to let the play play out in case the Cubs score runs. Sort of like a free play in the NFL when a DT or DE jumps offsides.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you run into a runner on your way to cover a base, that's obstruction.

You have to cede the baseline unless you're making a play on a batted ball.

I haven't seen the play, but I'm pretty sure that's the rule...

12. CUbs had guys on first and second, no one out, and DeRosa doubles to deep right. Pagan, on first, tagged up thinking the ball would be caught. So then he gets thrown out trying to get back into second after rounding the base too far.

Next, DeRosa is caught between first and second. But Pie breaks from third and they run him down there.

Hawk Harrelson is going to have a stroke.

Draft saved Draft deleted