1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs managerial food for thought

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by unwitty, Oct 8, 2006.

1. unwitty

unwitty Member

Admittedly, I'm a St. Louis fan. However, this does not mean I spend my time drinking RC Cola and eating moon pies. In fact, I know they suck. And if the Cardinals do make it into the NLCS, they'll likely get destroyed. Somehow if they escape the Mets, then I know for sure they'll be hammered by the A's or Tigers. No doubt about it.

Anyway, I had this thought today while not writing a paper for a grad class...

According to the New York papers, Joe Torre is about to get canned. Normally, this shouldn't be news for the St. Louis faithful, but I'll tell you how it may affect the Cardinals. And, it's through the Chicago Cubs.

Why in the world, would the Tribune Co. not want to hire Torre? I know Girardi is the hometown favorite, but Torre would make unbelievable sense. (Which might be why it won't happen.)

Yes, Torre failed to win with a $200 million payroll, but he won four rings by supplementing star power with a productive farm system. It was only when George decided to buy up every free agent known to man did the championship river dry up.

He would have the motivation and drive to prove The Boss wrong. And, Torre would be more than happy handing it to St. Louis on a seasonal basis considering they fired his ass.

Just wondered what others, who are far more wise than I, thought...

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why would Joe Torre want to manage the Cubs?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The Tribune Co. has to find a way to continue the tradition of misadventures, whether in print, in the newsroom, at the ballpark or on the field.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

First of all, unwitty, Torre won 4 rings with the Yankees.
    Secondly, if he is fired, he can sit back and collect $7 million next season and hang out with his younger wife and little girl. Why would he give that up to manage the loosers in Chicago?

5. unwitty

unwitty Member

Spnited,

Thanks for pointing out the error. I fixed it.

Now, for Torre, I just have a sneaking suspicion that the man is a helluva competitor who wants to win one more ring without the onus of 'He only won because he had Yankee money' hanging around his neck. I'm probably wrong, but that's happened before.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Envisioining doc's head exploding in 3.........2..........1............

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Please, Methuselah didn't say anything I don't know. The Cubs do indeed suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted