1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs' Fukudome upset over new shirts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Who forgot to turn off the stupid spig? There's a lot of Cubs fans around here, and until I am notified otherwise, I'm blaming them. :D

Even if what you said about Fukudome is true, that still doesn't qualify as calling attention to his ethnicity. And even if it did, how does that give everyone a golden ticket to toss out any racial slurs at will? If you mind-melded with Star Trek's Spock, your lack of logic would make his head explode.

And stuff like Horry Kow T-shirts are never racist to people who refuse to acknowledge racism.

For the umpteenth time, just because you don't think it's racist doesn't mean the ethnic group it is targeting doesn't think it is. And their opinion is all that matters.

It's not a hard concept. This may come as a shock, but I don't have a vagina. So I'd be pretty fucking stupid to offer up an opinion on what it's like to go through the pain of a period, no? So I don't go on pontificating about the vagaries of light or heavy flow and how women should feel about menustration.

Unless I'm awesomely off the mark, I'm guessing you're not Japanese, PHINJ, so how on earth can you speak to whether something about the Japanese is offensive or not?

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

You should give credence to my posts, because I would bet a million dollars I'm the only Asian person in this thread, and also the only one who doesn't think this is offensive.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yeah...the button is looking quite tempting...

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Let me ask this:

Do Germans get offended when you say, "Ve have vays of making you talk"?

Do Italians get offended if you mimic an Italian by talking with your hands or saying, "Yo, Rocco!"?

This is what this is like, and it's nothing remotely resembling "N-word."

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is that so, PHINJ?

Tell us . . . WHY did it take you this long to mention this? And you can answer by PM if you wish: what Asian nation is in your background? Because every Asian-American I know would greatly dispute your claim that there are no Asian slurs comparable to the N-word.

And yeah, many Germans and Italians don't like those stereotypes. Put them on a t-shirt in New York City, and have fun.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

How bout I give you my experience. As a gay man, I'm offended when people mimic gays by speaking in a high pitch or lisping esses. If I played a sport and had a shirt using that stereotype of me, I would be offended. Same thing.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not disputing that. Just saying that a) anyone chasing a major record is going to receive some harsh scrutiny; and b) the Rhodes situation wasn't a good example of "gaijin discrimination" because it was clouded by Oh's pride and his treatment of Rhodes as the mark was being chased.

But yes, there is definitely a "gaijin strike zone" and the like.

That's not comparable to a T-shirt like this.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Joking about physicality and doing imitations of people provide some of the best laughs in stand-up.

Loosen up.

9. You are completely missing the point.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I still don't see how making light of someone who has learned a second language is a slur against that person.

11. Simon_Cowbell

No, I'm not.

You guys are professional complainers and thinskins.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.