1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs dump Old Style for Budweiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Well, comparatively...

Anyone ever have the misfortune of running across Lion's Head, a Pittsburgh-area beer that guaranteed the worst hangover of you life?

I was just thinking about the 1970's. I was seven or eight and had a huge beer can collection. No better playtoy for an eight year-old than an old beer can (with the sharp edges...this was in the days of pull tabs) that he found on the side of the road. And what a great message to sent to a pre-teen kid...yeah, go ahead...stack up empty beer cans in your room. I have to bust my dad's balls over letting this happen. Now people would be calling Children's Services.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lion's Head is actually a Wilkes Barre beer.

3. BenPoquette

I bet Biden loves it...I heard he is just a guy from Scranton. My Pittsburgh buddies used to bring it back to school when they came back from trips home, which is why I assumed it was from P-Burgh. Either way it was awful.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

Awful and about $15 a case.

5. BenPoquette

Do they still make it? And if I remember, it only came in a bottle (or am I thinking of something else?)

6. BitterYoungMatador2

You're welcome.

http://lionbrewery.com/

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I disagree. Beer-can collecting was great in the 70s. It taught young kids that there was a lot out there beyond their city's borders. I remember a car vacation our family took to St. Louis to go to Six Flags in about 1975, right when we started collecting them. We stayed in a motel and in the morning before we went to Six Flags my brothers and I walked along the road finding beer cans that we wouldn't find in my home area. This was before Busch was sold nationally. I remember finding cans from Falstaff and Ballentine, also.

8. BenPoquette

Oh, don't get me wrong...I loved my cans. Old Frothingslosh...POC...Schmidt's. My uncle once went to England and brought me back four cans...Tartan Ale was one of them....I was in awe. I still have my Hudepohl Cincinnati Reds cans from 1975 and 76. However, it's a pretty strange hobby for an eight year-old. Why not collect cigar bands while you're at it?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As a kid, my dad had a killer cigar band collection. He kept it in scrapbooks. Had a lot of cool ones from the '40s and '50s. ...

Update: Just talked to my mom and he still has it, including some cigar bands that are over 100 years old. Too bad there isn't much of a market for it now.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember reading a story the last few years about a shipwreck in the Baltic.
    The site was found to contain a number of intact, nearly pristine bottles of booze.
    One bottle accidentally exploded in the hold of the ship, it thought to be vintage champagne.
    But the salvage team discovered it was, in fact, beer.
    Two-hundred-year-old beer, oldest drinkable beer ever found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12393875

11. BenPoquette

With eBay you never know...I always thought cigar bands were cool to look at. Some of the designs were amazing.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And it probably tastes better than Old Style.

Draft saved Draft deleted