1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs announce Kendall trade on TV first ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cubman, Jul 17, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

And I'm saying that he's not owed that. Reporters should have no expectation of being "handed" the news, and they certainly shouldn't complain when it doesn't happen. Instead of bitching about the Cubs releasing it to TV first, he should be asking himself why he didn't have the story before they released it at all.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

TV was "handed" the news. That's the fucking issue here.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Man, I'm glad somebody else sees that...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It wasn't like a local sports anchor, on one of the affiliates, was "handed" anything. It was read by the GM on the team's telecast. Big deal.

If the Cubs had released the news to all media at once, the game announcers still would have dispersed it first, right? As in immediately? Beat writers would have had to at least phone their desks or send something for online.

Doubt that getting it first would have convinced Tribune Co. not to do buyouts or run ads on section fronts, anyway.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair enough ... but the TV handed the news was the local Cubs affiliate, for on-the-air use. To me, it's no different than if the Cubs front office had announced it on the JumboTron. I'd have more of an issue if it was handed to a TV hack for an 11 o'clock exclusive.

I still think complaining on a blog is the wrong way to go about this. I don't agree at all about the bar analogy. It's more like preaching to a hateful congregation.

6. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I'm going to have to agree with Cosmo and broadway joe on this one.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Okey-dokey. Then when it happens to one of you, I trust the silence will be deafening. :)

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The team I cover announces such things on their website all the time.
    In this case, the team announced a trade on their TV station.

Not sure I see the difference.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Print guys are going to have to get used to the idea that, unless we do original reporting, we're not going to have transactions stuff first anymore, at least most of the time. Teams have Web sites and broadcast outlets, and many don't see a need to "respect" the less-important-than-ever beat writers with such stuff. Nice courtesy if they do, but that is fading. So we have to either break the stories by finding out independently or focus more on the context and meaning and second-day angles of a roster move. Things have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted