1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crystal Mangum gets her degree from NCCU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ah.

2. He's out to piss on threads, Moddy. Look at his last couple of posts.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good column for a college paper. I would have liked to have seen a comment from the college NCCU as well, but I wasn't put off by the smugness like others.

I thought she had some pretty good points about the ethics code, and if she hadn't given another example of the school's questionable admissions, I may have thought she was being overly dramatic. But she did. It was OK for a column.

3. Moderator1

Comment from college, as in NCCU? Because that was my first question - don't you at least owe them a chance to discuss their policies? Rip 'em a new one all you want but you still have to be fair.

4. Yes, I was agreeing with your first post.

5. Moderator1

Cool, just wanted to be sure you weren't talking about Duke - being outraged or something. Yeah, got to have something from NCCU in there.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The question is not necessarily why didn't they bar her from ever graduating, but instead why they chose not take any disciplinary action whatsoever under the honor code, not even a temporary suspension.

None of the falsely accused Lacrosse players will be graduating on time--they lost a year of their life in part because Duke chose to prematurely invoke it's honor code before any allegations had actually been proven. Yet NCCU declined to do anything even after there was overwhelming evidence of Mangum's misconduct. It ain't exactly a fair result.

And I don't think the public v. private distinction matters that much. The column states NCCU had an honor code, so apparently they were empowered to take action if they wanted to. I had a friend once suspended a semester from a public university under an honor code provision because of participation in a dorm brawl. I consider Mangum's misconduct far more egregious than that, and I'm guessing NCCU itself has invoked the policy in the past for other students and lesser misconduct. So why not in this case?

At the very least, it certainly is a valid question to ask in a column. I just didn't care for the elitist tone in which she posed it.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No it isn't, Stoney. She was not convicted of anything. Utterly no reason why she shouldn't graduate.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I didn't say she should never be allowed to graduate, but instead that the relevant question is why no disciplinary action whatsoever was taken.

And a conviction has nothing to do with a University's right to take internal disciplinary action against a student under its honor code. Those are seperate issues. In fact, I feel quite confident in asserting that the vast majority of cases involving university discipline under an honor code don't involve criminal convictions. You're implying a requirement that simply does not exist there.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So a public university should discipline a student for an off-campus incident that resulted in no criminal charges against her? That's mighty shaky ground at best.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kristen has a forehead longer than the late Tom Mees. It has to be a 5 finger.

11. lono

lono Active Member

That's Plain-Dealer material right there:

"I would invite them to review court records indicating Mangum had DNA from two unidentified men in her rectum; two more in her pubic region; one man in her vagina; and four to five men on her panties-none of whom were lacrosse players"

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Off-campus incident. Not convicted. Not exactly treated with chivalry. Column of fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted