1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cry me a river: an oil company loses money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nobody ever likes oil companies, of course.

But do remember, they run on a 9%-10% profit margin. And...how much is that cup of Starbucks again?

It's not their fault the rest of the third world is ditching mules and burros over the past 15 years to increase demand.

Also, if you have a reasonable stock portfolio, you probably do have some oil stocks.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Spot on.

To all these folks who wish the oil companies ill, yeah, more hurting companies is exactly what this economy needs. ::)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This one never gets old for me:

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, yes and no...

HOUSTON — Exxon Mobil Corp. today reported a profit of $45.2 billion for 2008, breaking its own record for a U.S. company, even as its fourth-quarter earnings fell 33% from a year ago.
    Advertisement

The previous record for annual profit was $40.6 billion, which the world’s largest publicly traded oil company set in 2007.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090130/BUSINESS07/90130024/Exxon+Mobil+shatters+profit+record

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I don't think anyone wishes oil companies ill, but I don't think anyone feels sorry for them either.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So maybe somebody can answer this question: If 9 to 10 percent is an acceptable profit margin to oil companies ...

... WHY THE HELL ISN'T IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR NEWSPAPERS?!?!?!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. Because we are run by incompetent greedy thugs. The oil companies are run by smart greedy thugs.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Should I have used larger type for that? Because I can always edit.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

no no... that's good.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's fun to rip 'big oil' but...

...after years of thinner newspapers, higher per-copy prices and weaker content, does Congress hold hearings, with grumpy Senators decrying the evils of 'BIG NEWSPAPER'?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fens and I find rare common ground. Maybe incompetent is giving them too much credit. Brain-dead is more like it.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Here's what I don't understand about my Exxon stock ... they set a record in 2007 in earnings, broke it in 2008 ... and their stock price went down? Like, by a lot.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted