1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CRV vs. RAV4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Check these stock numbers on www.carmax.com

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/search/quicksearch.aspx

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If nothing else, I'll use those figures to get the local dealership down.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Autobytel.com is another one that we've had really good luck with... It was a few years ago, but we saved $3,500 on one car and were able to get it with all of the add-ons that we wanted in the color we wanted...

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I've heard both cars are pretty good.

But BBAM, what car will your husband be driving?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, it's a good comparison. The Highlander comes off the Camry, while the CR-V is a Civic spinoff and the RAV4 sprang from the loins of the Corolla through the end of the '05 model year. (The 2006-current RAV4 is built on its own merits, rather than being a muscled-up Corolla.)

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I saw this in the theater. Thought the film was too damn dark.

7. CRV does match with the RAV-4, not the Highlander which is much higher priced. I own a CRV and have rented a RAV-4 on a long vacation - very similar. Haven't had a problem with the CRV at all with more than 100,000 miles on it.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I have an 02 RAV4, and I love it. The only problem it gave me (catalytic converter going kaplooey) was covered under the warranty I got when I purchased it used. Other than that, it's been awesome. Gas mileage isn't spectacular, but it's good for a small SUV, it's got enough storage space for all my junk but not so much that I feel like I'm driving a tank.

The CRV and RAV4 are very similar, honestly. I got a RAV4 because it was cheaper than the same year CRVs in my area. But I can give it two thumbs up.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I've owned HOnda CR-V's since 1998. Currently, I have a 2002 model. The car is wonderful; it rides well; it has plenty of room for "stuff"; it handles VERY well in snow conditions and on wet roads.

The 98 model has 110,000 miles on it and is running fine. Only major repair needed was a new clutch at about 100K

The 02 model has 81,000 miles on it and has had nothing major go wrong yet. (It has auto transmission so thre's no clutch repair in its future and the transmission has had no "issues" yet.)

Both cars have AC...

Someone said above that you can't go wrong with either Honda or Toyota. I agree with that. I prefer the CR-V to the RAV-4 because the CR-V is a bit bigger and therefore more useful. Even with the bigger size, I get 25mpg on the highway and 20-21 mpg in the city.

Good luck.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just might be your man here. I've had both.

Last year, we traded in our '98 CRV for an '07 RAV4. It's the first time we've gone away from Honda in about 20 years. And we're really happy. It's got a V-6 engine, which I highly recommend for the fast acceleration. But the RAV4 feels roomier and is even better in bad (snow-ice) conditions than the CRV.

The car magazines agree. RAV4 is about as good as it gets right now in the genre.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The wife has been driving a 2004 CRV for a couple of years. We're about to hand it off to the younger daughter in favor of a low-mileage 2007 CRV.

Quite happy with them both.

12. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Hey, I never said anything about that vehicle.

Seriously though, my parents were looking at the RAV4, CRV and Mazda Tribute and ended up buying the Tribute. Not entirely sure why.

I'm pretty stoked to pick up my new ride in six hours, a rare, black-on-black 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon I bought last weekend. Not that a turbo-charged engine is going to help me stop speeding, but I decided it was the vehicle to be able to drive through snowstorms and still get decent gas mileage on my way to and from work.

BBAM, if you need a CARFAX report and want to save like $25, I bought the one-month pass thing they have... Just PM me the VINs or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted