1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossfit Games to award guns to first-place finishers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If the New York Times ran an op-ed today headlined, "Why the Dallas and Baton Rouge shooters did the right thing," I would have no problem calling that an imprudent exercise of the First Amendment.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A case could be made the Crossfit dude made a straw purchase of those pistols, since he bought them with the full intention of giving them to somebody else to use.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It looks like Reebok, one of the major sponsors, is not happy about it.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They don't care at all. They just don't want to get caught in the figurative PR crossfire. Same with ESPN.

From Reebok: “As the title sponsor of the Games, we unfortunately do not have input regarding other partners or promotions. While we understand CrossFit’s foundations are tied to military and first responders, we do not agree with this decision, particularly in light of current events in the United States.”

ESPN: “ESPN televises CrossFit but has no involvement with running the competition or the prizing,” an ESPN spokesperson told USA Today. “We also make no mention of prizes in our telecasts.”

Also, as someone else noted upthread, this is not tone deaf. It's a political statement, which Crossfit is free to make.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As an ex-Marine, was Gavin Long an avid Crossfitter?

6. Dick Whitman

Oh, yeah. This isn't some mistake that Crossfit made. I didn't realize the extent to which Crossfit indoctrinates people about cops, firefighters, and veterans, but it makes sense now. The biggest Crossfitters on my Facebook feed are also the most ardent #BlueLivesMatter folks.

7. bigpern23

I'm curious what the broader reaction has been at CrossFit gyms across the country. Several of my friends who do CrossFit canceled their memberships immediately and moved, as a group, to a similar type of high-intensity gym nearby. One who owns a box, or whatever they call it, openly questioned on Facebook whether he will remain an owner.

Given that I haven't read about CrossFit canceling the prize, I'm assuming it's mostly been met with a positive reaction among its members.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Precious snowflakes.

9. bigpern23

I don't know what that means.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Are we sure they're talking about real guns and not these? (I mean, it IS CrossFit.)

[​IMG]

11. Dick Whitman

I'm not sure what his argument is. He doesn't like that I said that handing out glocks wasn't a prudent exercise of the Second Amendment. He thought it was a "gotcha" moment. But, again, I don't think, for example, that John Rocker prudently exercised his First Amendment rights. Constitutional rights don't mean do whatever the fuck you want within the right and no one can criticize you. That's the Sarah Palin version.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Their programming is not big on curls.

Draft saved Draft deleted