1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crossed Giblets of Death: The SJ Thanksgiving Family Therapy Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

As I just posted on the other thread, we will be travelling together to my mother's house, where I grew up. She has dialup and a Gateway 386. Estimated time for each post to load: 3 hours 22 seconds. We may need some filler. Or an extra blackberry battery.

Also, Mr Bastard, the highlight (for me) of last year's (this) thread was your dramatic narrative of the mysterious Guatamalan cleaning lady. I wonder whatever happened to her. She went for an eyebrow wax and never returned.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree. 21 is a modern-day Myles Standish... with the exception that if she had been the original Myles Standish and either mom or Lou had been Massasoit, the great king of the Indians, the communication issues between the two cultures, which were substantial to begin with, would have been exacerbated to such lengths that instead of a yearly festival of good will that we still celebrate, we would have been driven to push the Indians off their land, decimate their culture and leave a disproportionate number of them displaced, poverty-stricken and alcoholic.

Oh wait.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Do you think Myles Standish's mother was there for dinner?

'Myles dear, do you even know those people? Can you suggest that perhaps the men wear some trousers? What is that, corn? Do you know where it's been? I wonder, should i bring out the bridge set? Do you think they know bridge? Do we have enough ice?'

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

21, you need one of these.

[​IMG]

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe we're talking about Thanksgiving. Didn't the World Series just end last week? Christ.

Or perhaps I'm just trying not to think about Thanksgiving because this Thanksgiving promises to be more...........interesting.........than usual. My wife's cousin is having all sorts of issues at school...the issue being he won't go. He's 14, a freshman in HS and he's getting home-schooled because he goes into a rage at school. He also goes into rages at home and in the car, and it almost always comes out of nowhere. They've visited a psychiatrist, but nothing's doing yet. We're all quite obviously worried about him.

The thought of him going into a rage at Thanksgiving with my wife's 85-year-old grandmother watching as her heart breaks does not fill me with joy. There's a chance they may just stay in Jersey for the day...but that's unlikely since his mom cherishes any opportunity to spend time with her mom (the 85-year-old). I hate to say it but I'm hoping they end up staying home and it's just me, my wife, her mom and grandma.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

BYH, nothing that a punch to the face won't solve. Tough love baby, tough love.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I heart 21.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Would you hit...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

... Boom?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Restraining order in effect until 2009.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Guess I won't have to worry about this this year.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm thrilled in advance that I won't be at my ex's fascist family gathering this year. Last year I hung out with the whole clan and I felt like I was at an Oral Roberts revival. And no alcohol. Wouldn't have been so bad if I could have quietly got sauced, but noooo.

Draft saved Draft deleted