1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross Webb off VP list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

There are still a ton of options out there -- Schweitzer and Sebelius, in particular, come to mind.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Strickland was never a candidate. He would have been a terrible pick.

I am not sure Edwards is out. But it probably wouldn't be smart to pick a VP loser from the last election (even though it wasn't his fault).

There are plenty of good candidates, though.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Schweitzer would be fantastic.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I told you so months ago.

I am a big fan of Webb, but I knew he was never going to be the choice. Unless it is Hil, Obama will avoid current legislators altogether.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The truth is, not too many people know what's up. It's a media guessing game. Most of the names that are out there are names that come up because reporters bring them up. It could be somebody totally off the radar screen.

I'd be mildly surprised if they pick a current Senator, aside from perhaps Evan Bayh. He's a classic "do no harm" candidate with a centrist record. He's an experienced campaigner who won't make a mistake, and he may even help Obama pick off Indiana.

Of the names people talk about, Sebelius seems to have the least number of negatives. I can't think of one, aside from perhaps the lack of national security experience. But what "Washington outsider" has national security experience? Sam Nunn, Al Gore and ???

There's arguments to be made either way, but Obama would probably be better off doubling down on change.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tim Kaine.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love the game, and follow it closely, but only had genuine inside information, once.

It was regarding Gore, in 2000. And Bayh and whomever else can talk about being on the so-called Short List, then, but there were only two names on it -- no more.

It was Kerry's, if he wanted it.

He didn't want it.

And since Kerry didn't want it, it was Lieberman's.

Nobody else was in the room.

NOBODY.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jim Webb, whom I respect greatly, is far too independent minded and strong willed to be the VP for any President who isn't an empty suit, which Obama, like him or not, is not.
    I can't imagine Hillary accepting the VP slot. The Senate is a much better gig for her, and she's surely smart enough to know that. Besides, what do you do with the ex-President VP's spouse? Politicians are like football coaches, they hate to borrow trouble.
    If I had to bet, I'd bet Sibelius.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I still believe Obama will try to balance himself with a "boring" white guy (most likely Southern) with experience.

Sam Nunn's the leader in the clubhouse.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I like Webb, but he's far from perfect, as Ben Hecht mentioned.

I think Obama needs an economic guru.

But I also really like Hagel.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I vote for a former general.
    The ex-Marine commander, James Jones, is intriguing.
    Wesley Clark was also there, but he told the truth and that makes him now ineligible.
    Or maybe not, that might have all been blown over when it comes picking time.

Draft saved Draft deleted