1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross-Country Girl Breaks Leg, and Finishes Race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 16, 2007.

1. EStoess

EStoess Member

Seems like even if they couldn't scrap plans and find room for a sider or column, or better yet, something on A1, a follow would have been a no-brainer.

It's not like the state meet was at 10 p.m. pushing deadline. Not even the pathetic deadline at my old place.

Great job by ESPN to follow up at least. Glad someone did.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Truly remarkable story.

Hopefully her family will put together another wedding ceremony of sorts so Claire can attend.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Well, can't say that cross country runner wasn't working hard. ;D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This just demonstrates that women really are tougher than men.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

By the time this makes the rounds, she will be having a baby just after crossing the finish line.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I thought that was pretty much understood -- with that whole giving birth thing.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Giving birth is for pussies.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Unless it's a C-section.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when Derek Redmond tore his hamstring at Seoul in 1988, and his father came out of the stands to help him around to the finish. Ever see an entire stadium cry? SI's write-up was very, very good.

This ESPN column is less so, especially with this passage: "Thanks to YouTube and Internet blogs such as The Big Lead, the rest of the world sees courage, determination and an off-the-charts tolerance for pain."

Just reading The Big Lead means the reader has an off-the-charts tolerance for pain.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That video is painful to watch.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I just learned of a video that would make your head spin. If you thought THAT was painful to watch.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does it involve cups or tubs?

Draft saved Draft deleted