1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crops rotting in Ga. without immigrant workers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WTFünke, Jun 23, 2011.

1. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2011/06/17/gas-farm-labor-crisis-playing-out-as-planned/

If only the politicians would have watched The Colbert Report ... or followed common sense.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You reap what you sow.

Or maybe you don't.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

All of those out-of-work engineers have jobs to apply for now.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So long as I can still buy peaches.

5. TheSportsPredictor

Sure, at a higher price.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

They could use prisoners from area jails and prisons to do the work, comp those individials for "work performed" as they move toward eventually being freed, and have the companies tally up all the money that would have been paid to the migrant workers and have them donate that money to a designated, needy charity.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was a joke about how the story mentioned four other fruit/food crops ahead of peaches, which is weird. So I joked that obviously the peaches will be fine, since they'll make sure those get picked.

Never mind.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Or, the companies could pay what the jobs are actually worth and have a large pool of applicants to choose from.

But, nah, slavery's still in.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm in favor of that option, TSP, but I don't think you'd have a quality pool of applicants. Folks are not as into working those types of jobs as they were, say, 30 or 40 years ago.
    The advent of technological age has as it's nasty byproduct a lazier workforce, by and large.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Actually, from what I understand the state's peach crop is in good shape. There are only about five legitimate growers, and they apparently are in good shape for labor, partly due to the fact that peaches were being harvested before the backlash on this law got rolling.

The melon and vegetable crops are a different story though. And next year looks iffy for peaches.

Georgia is referred to as the peach state, but there are two or three other states that produce more.

As for the prisoners ... they're trying probationers now, and about 90 percent aren't making it past the first day doing the work.

RE: Wages. The most productive workers can rake in $20 per hour. Yeah. Slavery. They willingly come to America to do this work.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Pretty good AP story on the subject:

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/georgia-puts-probationers-to-984075.html

12. TheSportsPredictor

The jobs are worth what it takes to hire people to do them legally.

Draft saved Draft deleted