1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Criticizing pieces/writers at pubs where you (have) freelance(d)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Aug 20, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can believe that all you want, and it might be theoretically true, but if you do a rip job on someone (and he has viable alternatives), what are the odds he picks up the phone and calls you to write for him over someone who hasn't done so?

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'd have to be fairly outraged to publicly criticize a publication that had paid me and potentially could use my work again. You can also criticize in a professional manner, so maybe you can vent and still keep a relationship with freelance source.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

BobSacamano, did you consider posting your thoughtful and worthwhile criticism of this media company here, under your alias? If it's so important to you, why not use this forum as a way to let out your frustrations?

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

A paycheck is a payment for services rendered and not a muzzle, but as you have a right to free speech, the SE and ME have just as much a right to spend their freelance budget elsewhere.
    If I saw a stringer rip my publication publicly I would conveniently lose his phone number.

5. JPsT

JPsT Member

It depends on the issue, too. If this offense is so egregious to you that you say, 'I never want to see my byline in that rag again,' then by all means. They're not muzzling you, you're restraining yourself because it's the wise thing to do for your future (again, unless this is something important enough to you to do otherwise).

6. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I don't really see myself writing for them again. It's a dead relationship, not because of any sour grapes as I'm still friendly with the ME and a few writers. But this is a small (enough) world. I wasn't so much worried about the guy whose piece I would have obliterated; I was more curious with how future editors might feel about the job after they vetted me following a pitch. Although I'm confident my stance would have garnered a few high fives from people appreciative of how real I always keep it, I'd like to maintain my rep for rock-solid principles while stating how I feel (when relevant), and not becoming the guy who'll shit on a brand at his first opportunity.

7. TheWhiskeyDiaries

TheWhiskeyDiaries New Member

Maybe if he thinks if he makes a few snarky blasts at MSM on his blog, Bill Simmons will swoop in and hand him a staff position at Grantland.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

(I was trying to be kind.)

Draft saved Draft deleted