1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crisis in the Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Remember how in 2008 someone foresaw Russia invading Ukraine and was roundly mocked by all the really, really smart people?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

not really.

Although in recent months I have noticed a fair number of American commentators chortling with joy and approval over Putin's "decisive and commanding" personal style, especially for showing Some Guy "who's really boss."

Generally, these have not tended to be the limp-wristed pinko libs.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"After the Russian army invaded the nation of Georgia, Senator (redacted) reaction was one of indecision and moral equivalence – the kind of response that would only encourage Russia's Putin to invade Ukraine next,"

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's 3 am and the phone is ringing but no one is home to answer it.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Have we drawn a Red Line yet?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dick Cheney was just asked what the US should do in response to this aggression by Russia; he said the US should immediately invade Iraq.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

ROMNEY: Russia is not a friendly character on the world stage. And for this president to be looking for greater flexibility, where he doesn't have to answer to the American people in his relations with Russia, is very, very troubling, very alarming.

I am - I'm very, very concerned. I think the American people are going to feel the same way. This is a president who is telling us one thing and doing something else and is planning on doing something even more frightening.

BLITZER: Well, when you say even more frightening, what's he planning on doing, in your opinion?

ROMNEY: Well, my guess is it has to do either with - with nuclear arms discussions or it has to do with missile defense sites. What he did both on nuclear weaponry already in the - in the new START treaty, as well as his decision to withdraw missile defense sites from - from Poland and then reduce our missile defense sites in Alaska from the original plan, I mean these are very unfortunate developments. And if he's planning on doing more and suggests to Russia that - that he has things he's willing to do with them, he's not willing to tell the American people - this is to Russia, this is, without question, our number one geopolitical foe. They - they fight every cause for the world's worst actors. The I - the idea that he has some more flexibility in mind for Russia is very, very troubling, indeed.

BLITZER: But you think Russia is a bigger foe right now than, let's say, Iran or China or North Korea? Is that - is that what you're suggesting, Governor?

ROMNEY: Well, I'm saying in terms of a geopolitical opponent, the nation that lines up with the world's worst actors. Of course, the greatest threat that the world faces is a nuclear Iran. A nuclear North Korea is already troubling enough.

But when these - these terrible actors pursue their course in the world and we go to the United Nations looking for ways to stop them, when - when Assad, for instance, is murdering his own people, we go - we go to the United Nations, and who is it that always stands up for the world's worst actors?

It is always Russia, typically with China alongside.

And - and so in terms of a geopolitical foe, a nation that's on the Security Council, that has the heft of the Security Council and is, of course, a - a massive nuclear power, Russia is the - the geopolitical foe and - and the - and they're - the idea that our president is - is planning on doing something with them that he's not willing to tell the American people before the election is something I find very, very alarming.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Troll, troll, troll your boat. Gently down the screen.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"They" fought against the Mujahideen.

"We" supported the Mujahideen.

Anything else, Mitt?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yet she didn't foresee it happening due to a popular uprising led in part by a boxer and instead prophesied it would be due to the result of the 2008 election.

And, really, if McCain was in his second term do you really think Putin wouldn't be sending troops to the Crimea? Would he send troops in? Risk WWIII to prevent the Balkanization of Ukraine?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mitt-Boy would love to invade Russia.
    With a dog strapped to the roof of every tank.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The military-industrial complex needs an enemy. No, just needs an enemy, they have to have an enemy to justify their existence.

Why spend billions on war planes that will never be used in combat or 3,000 tanks that will sit in storage if you don't have a boogeyman?

So, a series of backwater dictators and now Putin are being propped as the latest evil that will come get you in the night.

Also, I think I'm becoming more of an isolationist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.