1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cricket Has Arrived !

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks to Bill Simmons:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6657523/so-cricket-maybe

2. Kermit McManus

Kermit McManus New Member

This is great service to sport.

For huge sportsman like Simmons to get on board - only good days ahead for sport.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Connor, don't cut Bentley from your Reality Fantasy League team. Chris Harrison says we haven't seen the last of The Bachelorette's Johnny Fairplay wannabe by a long shot.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The second I saw the headline on Grantland, I knew this thread would follow.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And it's also a given that Cricket will soon appear on ESPN.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Stopped reading here:

"It's as though the Yankees and the Red Sox had (a) nuclear weapons and (b) an enduring blood-feud over the disputed territory of Stamford, Conn."

I'm SO glad they threw in a reference to our 'Merican sports, so we great unwashed masses could understand the Cricket World Cup!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Besides, Stamford is pretty solidly in Yankee territory.

You've got to get to New Haven or so before you reach disputed territory.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

So you shouldn't use comparisons to things that Americans understand in an article whose purpose was to explain cricket to Americans who are unfamiliar with the sport?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its so fucking played out.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Shrug. There are a lot of concepts that are well-used that can still be enjoyable if done well. There are only so many guitar chords you can play, but I still buy rock albums.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed.

Let it stand on its own merits. Explain it using your own literary skills, not through metaphor that treats the reader like they should only care if there's a reference to something they've heard of.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Methaphor is a valid way to express juxtaposition and an effective way of making a connection to readers and allowing them to relate to something that would be distant and abstract otherwise. Maybe the use of the Yankees and Red Sox is cliche (though I certainly appreciate the image of them fighting over WWE headquarters), but I see nothing wrong with this approach.

Of course, any opportunity to sneer at the unwashed flag-waving Murricuns, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted