1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creig Ewing leaving Louisville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mine was. :)
    [/quote]
    I just think DJ sounds better.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two of my shop's desk people have left over the past few weeks to take communications jobs at hospitals. Seems that is the hot jumping off destination.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I have honestly explored jumping off into other communications areas myself. Is there a stigma attached? Sort of that "What do you know about news? You worked in sports!" mentality.

Obviously it worked for Creig and two of BT's colleagues. Anybody else face that?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a stigma if you can keep from being weeded out by HR. They are going to favor people with communications experience in the industry. You have to focus on your skills -- interviewing subject matter experts, boiling down complex info and making it easy to understand, comfortable interviewing CEOs, knowing how to find info, etc.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good advice. It's why, a lot of times, I try to notify someone in a company that I have applied. I deeply distrust recruiters and those on the lookout for people who have no business applying for certain jobs. A lot of times they throw out the experienced resumes, IMHO.

By going to someone within the company and selling myself, you never know if they might say "I want so-and-so's resume"... no guarantee you'll get the job, but it might get you looked at...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know that I am likely outing myself but "Ace" you've been a mentor
    and inspiration. Congratulations, best wishes and most importantly thanks.
    I am in need of some new kitchen appliances. Hopefully you will be able to pass on a liberal corporate discount to your friends.

7. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Another one escapes the Evil Empire of journalism. Best of luck Creig. You'll be amazed by how much fun it is to work "regular" hours and actually have a life away from the office.

8. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Congrats Creig! I think most of us realize what we are getting into when we get into this business...I think some of us realize that there are more important things in life

9. Congrats,

But I hope Ace is sticking around here.
    He's been a great poster - witty and insightful - since I was aware of this place.
    Based on his posts - again, his wit and insight - I thought he was an industry heavyweight. No knock on Louisville, intended.
    Based on his posts it was clear he had talent and flair.

And Creig??
    How do YOU - and your parents - pronounce Creighton?

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Took me a minute, but this is well done.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boom,

I can get you a deal on kitchen knives and pickle juice, but it's gonna be at least $50 by my conservative estimate.

Ace

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let me know if you need pricing on an espresso machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted