1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy Limey! Brits pick best sports movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, Cool Runnings even being on the list is enough to make it horseshit. I heard Escape to Cool Runnings was good, though.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Field of Dreams, Bull Durham and The Natural made the list, since I don't believe the Brits share our passion for baseball.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How come I didn't spy Major League on that list?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"All the Right Moves" wasn't on it either. Go Ampipe!

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

This Sporting Life could easily be No. 1 and Richard Harris's performance coulda/shoula Oscared. An amazing tho' dark piece.

YD&OHS, etc

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Strange ... they made a movie about the 1950 US World Cup soccer team's 1-0 win against England in Brazil.

Why didn't "The Miracle Match" make the list?

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Have you watched it? Easily one of the worst films of all time in any genre.

How anyone could fuck up a great story like that is amazing, but they managed to do it in spectacular fashion.

8. Cool Runnings?
    Did Disney pay for this list?

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Feel the Rhythm, Feel the Rhyme, Come on Jamaica it's bobsled time!

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Other than glaring errors (it was the USA's second game, not first like in the movie), I actually liked it. Fuck England!

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I love you too KC..... Anyway, the baseball movies mentioned are in there more because of who's in them than the sport being about baseball. It's also why Major League is further down the list.

As for Cool Runnings ...... 1988 was a strange year for the Winter Olympics in Britain. We didn't really have anyone good in the figure skating anymore, and our skiing skills have always been useless.

So we watched the games for the novelty. And onto the stage came Britain's own Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards. Quite possibly the worst ski-jumper you've ever seen, but a source of national hilarity. Since he was crap, people watched to see if he'd survive the thing, which he did. Anyway, combine that with the feeling people got from watching the Jamaican Bobsled team, and it generally generates a warm feeling in most people back home because those were the enduring stories of the games in Britain. And hence the goodwill towards the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted