1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest thing you've seen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, May 28, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw Ben Sheets strike out the side on nine pitches and saw the Brewers strike out four times in one inning ... in the same game.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've always wanted to see someone strike out the side on nine pitches. I know Bruce Sutter once did it - I think he was pitching for the Cubs at the time.

3. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Saw Boone Logan strike out the side in the ninth on nine pitches last season in Triple A. Pretty cool. Amazing for him considering his control.

A few years ago we had a Legion game end 31-23 in 10 innings. I wasn't the unlucky reporter who was there and had to do an MLB-style box, but the winning team led 16-8 entering the bottom of the eighth. Home team puts up a 14-run bottom half, gives up seven in the top of the ninth and ties it at 23 heading into extras.

4. An inside-the-park HR by Tony Armas in Tiger Stadium in 1983, occasioned by Chet Lemon running into the centerfield wall and knocking himself out.
    Armas, who was 290 at the time, looked like Swale rounding third.

5. One team I cover this year gave up nine runs in the bottom of the ninth to lose 10-9, and did it without recording a single out.
    Nine runs, no outs.
    Ug.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Game Six.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From what I've seen, he stayed in the Montreal, and now works for the Canadiens.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Youppi signed on with the Canadiens following the Expos move.

I remember the Bell-Kison thing very well and I think that's the game where Ernie Whitt came up later, took Kison deep and screamed at him as he rounded the bases.

I was also at a Jays-Rangers game in the early 1990s when Rance Mulliniks hit an inside-the-park homer. I think he needed a difibulator (or however the hell you spell it) when he reached the plate.

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

An 8-0 16-inning game that included the visitors bringing the right fielder to play right on second base for a five-man infield and having him throwing a guy out at the plate in the 10th or 11th.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

didn't see it live but this comes to mind: when the triple-a outfielder (rodney mccray, i think) ran through the fence

craziest thing i saw live was a game i played in. it was the fourth game of my (Div. III) college baseball career. we were 2-2 at that point and this was our first game after the spring break trip to play down in florida. we go up 10-0 after the top of the first inning. we end up losing 22-20. that was pretty much the season. we lost 19 in a row after that.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Then there was the Jays game against Seattle where Phil Bradley steamrolled Buck Martinez at home plate and broke his ankle, but the catcher held onto the ball for the out. Gorman Thomas had singled to right and gone to second on the throw to the plate, then broke for third when Martinez got hurt. Martinez tried to nail him at third base but the ball went into left field and Thomas made the turn for home. George Bell fired the ball in and somehow, in agony, Martinez caught the throw and managed to tag Thomas out. I think the play was recorded 9-2-7-2.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

After the game Thomas said he was a buddy of Buck's in Milwaukee and seeing the pain he was in wouldn't crash into him and hurt him any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted