1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest thing you've seen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, May 28, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Since baseball is the sport for insane things to happen, let's share some of the best we've seen.

Here's mine: Many years ago, i'm covering a local American Legion team in our area. Said team was 0-31. They were bad, yes, but some losses were bad luck of massive proportions.

And then this happened.

The team had 9 players show up for a home game one night. Bad team is losing, 5-4, heading into the bottom of the last inning. First batter walks. Winning run comes to the plate, torches what many believe was a walk-off home run over a short chain-linked fence in left-center field. First win of the season, it's thought.

However, the umpires rule that the ball bounced over the fence, thus awarding a double and runners on second and third.

Bad Team goes apeshit, screaming at the ump, going crazy. The on-deck batter throws his helmet as hard as he could against the backstop while he argues. He gets tossed.

Because Bad Team had no subs, no one could bat for the batter who just got tossed. They had to forfeit.

They finished 0-40.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Larry Rothschild's continued employment.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Seven-year guaranteed contract for pitchers.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Covered the Pine Tar Game..... George Brett "attacking" Tim McClelland....the greatest thing I've ever seen.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Thursday's Mariners-Devil Rays game I attended was pretty crazy. 13-12 final and twice the Mariners third base coach gave Jose Lopez the go sign when he clearly wasn't going to have a chance with the play at the plate. The second time he was going for an inside-the-park homer which is WAY more exciting to watch than I could ever imagine.

Also seeing if the Rays bullpen could blow a 12-4 lead was rather crazy and entertaining.

And why is Richie Sexton still in their lineup? 25 runs, over 30 hits and he didn't have any of them.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Does the Expos mascot count? ;D

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

George Brett was my all-time fave non-Blue Jay. I had my picture taken in front of the exhibit that had the pine tar bat during my trip to the baseball HOF.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Youppi kicked some ass.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He always starts slow. By the end of the year he'll have 30 homers, 110 RBIs, 125 strikeouts and a .260 average.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Okay, and the name "youppi" says it all ::)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did Youppi go to Washington with the 'spos?

And the craziest thing I've seen? It wasn't in person, but George Bell karate kicking Bruce Kison, then wheeling around to pop Rich Gedman, who had chased him out to the mound. I know it was 1985 and it was on television, and something tells me it was a Game of the Week on NBC. I could be wrong about that.

Naturally, if you try to look up the incident on the net today, you'll see all kinds of Red Sox fanboy looser revisionists who insist that Kison dodged the kick and punched Bell out. Uh, yeah, as if! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted