1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crap ... what's going to happen to that surge of NFL interest in Jacksonville?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Five teams have discussed a move to Los Angeles. None are surprises. Chargers, Vikings, Rams, Raiders, and, shocker of shockers, the Jaguars.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Av2x5r7H7U1LV_h.BWNs3MQ5nYcB?slug=ap-nfllosangeles

If I had to rank them based on relevance to their local markets, from the least important to most: 1. Jaguars; 2. Rams; 3. Chargers; 4. Raiders; 5. Vikings.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The big windfall to any move is being able to sell PSL's . It remains to be seen of NFL ability to sell PSL's in LA.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Raiders don't mean jack shit in the Bay Area. Can't say about Jacksonville, but I know the Rams and Chargers are bigger in their locales than the Raiders are.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Jaguars make the most sense by a lot.

Hopefully, the Vikings will get their stadium and everything can go back to normal. It would be a travesty to have Minnesota lose the Vikings.

Why should two teams that left LA be allowed to go back? That should take the Raiders and Rams out of the mix.

The Chargers make sense and they need a new stadium as well, but San Diego would miss the Chargers a hell of a lot more than Jacksonville would miss the Jags.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Raiders have a lineage in the Bay Area and they don't mean shit right now because they suck.

The Rams couldn't define woodwork to St. Louis fans right now better if they were trying on purpose.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Raiders fans will come back. Jaguars fans never showed up in the first place.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They sold out almost every game last year.

I can't justify paying out the ass for the NFL experience, such that it is, when I have a quality HD and a fridge full of cheap beer. The HD singlehandedly made attendance an ongoing debate. It's not going to go away.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I will take your point about the Rams, though I have always thought that was the single worst stadium in the NFL and that was why support was so bad. But I am in the Bay Area and I can tell you the Raiders will not make it back -- they are a dead team in a dead town and nobody wants to go anywhere near the stadium even on the off chance they do get good again. Even during the Gruden years and the Super Bowl season they were routinely blacked out. The same factors that plague the A's plague the Raiders.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jags matter in their community. There just isn't enough community to matter.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Chargers, of course, also left Los Angeles.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No way in hell AEG brings da Radiers to the little stadium they're building down the street from my pad. No way.

It'll be the Chargers, if the bartenders and the politicos @ The Pacific Dining Car know what they're talking about (and when it comes to LA, these guys usually do!).

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Hondo just hurled a cat off a bridge and has no idea why.

Draft saved Draft deleted