1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crain's Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScottyDan45, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ScottyDan45

ScottyDan45 New Member

Crains Business Detroit recently posted for a reporter. Anyone have an idea about the salary for reporters or what kind of shop it is to work at?

2. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I PM'ed you.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's been a while since I worked at Crain's, but it's a good organization. I believe Keith Crain, who runs the operation, is still based in Detroit, so that's a plus. If need be, there are opportunities to move to other Crain's publications, which I took advantage of when my wife transferred with The Associated Press from Cleveland to Chicago. What I always appreciated about Crain's, too, was that, for the most part, if you had a good idea, they let you run with it. In Cleveland, I got the sports business beat started because I asked, and they didn't tell me I was an idiot. I also remember turning in a 30-inch story on what was supposed to be a short about all the new cellular towers being built in the area, which I used as a metaphor for something or other. But instead of telling me right off the bat to cut the story, they considered it on its merits.

Again, it's been a while, and I'm sure some things have changed. But I would always recommend Crain's to anyone.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Seconded. Lots of Crain's publications are highly regarded (AdAge, Automotive News, the city-based publications, etc.). Good journalists throughout the organization-many of them have worked at big metros before moving over. And, although I'm sure web is a priority these days, too, writing for a weekly publication lets you take a different spin on stories, which some might enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted