1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Ferguson and the skeleton go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Didn't she - and wasn't it Lizz Winstead, who was in some of the bits - threaten to sue or did file a claim against him?
    All I can think of is Larry Sanders asking Dave who he was getting for the 12:30 slot and Dave telling him he was getting Bobcat Goldthwait.
    I couldn't pick this Maron guy out of a police lineup with a gun to my head. Sorry. I just don't know who the hell he is. I mean, I barely know much about Seth Meyers, mainly because I have watched so little SNL over the last 15 years. Too busy working or drinking to give a shit about the show.
    Hardwick would be good and he's been a good guest on Late Late Show. Not that big a fan of @Midnight, but to each his own. Wonder of McHale would do it. He's good on "Community," so I don't know if a late night talk show would suit him at this point.
    Chelsea Handler. CBS wouldn't touch her with a 10-foot pole. Or Bea Arthur's dick.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't see the brilliance in Maron. I've tried to watch the show and it comes off as a poor man's "Curb Your Enthusiasm." And I didn't like CYE that much.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You won't find it in the IFC show.

His podcast is very, very good. He's an excellent interviewer. He'd be a great choice if they were willing to go back to a Tom Snyder-type show, with an extended one on one interview. I doubt they'd do that, and I think he'd be ill-suited to 5 minutes interviews with some chick from a sitcom.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I was a huge Snyder fan in the early NBC days. Linda Ellerbee and Lloyd Dobbins as well.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And on TBS, Linda Ellerbee and ... wait for it ... ... ... Bill Tush!

EDIT: I thought she did shows with Tush, but maybe I'm mistaken.

6. Machine Head

Lizz Winstead:

As a co-creator and former head writer of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935540/

7. Machine Head

You made me hit Google.

Many things have oozed out of my melon's repository, but I do believe you are mistaken.

I'm going back to the bar.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think I'm the only fan left of Kilborn, being a guy who watched all of his 30ish episode mid-afternoon show. I find him to be dry and funny, but it's not like he set the world on fire the first time he hosted at 12:30. It would be funny if he came back for a one-shot, like him and Ferguson on the show's first night, but he hasn't really been doing much in the time since then. I don't even know if he guested when Ferguson hosted. (I know Ferguson was on a couple times with Kilborn; the clips are on YouTube.)

McHale or NPH on at 12:30 would be interesting, but both seem "too big" to want the gig in a way. If Handler wanted to keep doing a show, I'm not sure why she would have left E!, where she probably would have had similar money and more creative control. Maron, pass, since he seems like such a miserable guy at times. I think him having his podcast is right about where he should be. I feel like with the usual CBS programming, plus Colbert, that seems like a lineup that skews older anyway, so Ferguson probably would have fit in better than anyone else anyway.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

McHales too big?
    His highlights are The Soup abd a middling sitcom.

The late night talk show format should be put to rest.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only people who want Kilborn are 35-and-older men who are living in the past.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I finally saw Hardwick last night on Maron's season debut. It was actually amusing.

I thought I recognized him, but I can't remember where.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

How dare you - I'm 30. :D Also, I only think he would be OK in a one-shot situation. His afternoon show felt stretched out at times, and it was only 30 minutes long. He does have some interesting bits that I wish someone else would just steal, like Five Questions and Kilbyashi, a "Billy on the Street" style question assault.

Draft saved Draft deleted