1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Dubow quits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Especially w/ guys in positions like Dubow's . . . I'm certain a number of other people could have staged the sustained slash-and-burn just as well, if not better.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think any of us here could have done Dubow's job. Approve any throw-shit-at-the-wall gimmick, chop a whole bunch of jobs, make a couple of speeches using a few corporate buzzwords, announce furloughs, take a few months off for a disability while continuing to collect a six-figure-bonus, chop a whole bunch of jobs, collect a shitload of more money, tell the workers that you cut your pay by 2 percent while doubling your bonus, then take an eight-figure golden parachute.

Yeah, I think any of us could have done Dubow's job. We all were just too busy trying to track down the three minority sources in our community to be able to do the incompetent's job.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

David Carr, as usual, hits it square: http://nyti.ms/r4A6Oi

4. Baron Scicluna

"No one, least of all me, is suggesting that running a newspaper company is a piece of cake. But the people in the industry who are content to slide people out of the back of the truck until it runs out of gas not only don’t deserve tens of millions in bonuses, they don’t deserve jobs."

Nail. On. Head.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just once I'd like to see this column written the day the CEO signs his contract, instead of in hindsight.

6. Baron Scicluna

Better yet, not that it would actually happen, but I would have loved a Gannett paper to write a "Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out, Craig" editorial.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The local rag ran an editorial ripping the crap out of a local company that had let go a couple hundred workers. This from the same paper that has let go a similar number of employees during the same span.

Draft saved Draft deleted