1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Biggio quitting baseball on Sept. 30

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Top 20 active players in hits

Rank Player (age) Hits Bats
    1. Craig Biggio (41) 3014 R
    2. Barry Bonds* (42) 2906 L
    3. Julio Franco (48) 2579 R
    4. Omar Vizquel# (40) 2552 B
    5. Steve Finley* (42) 2548 L
    6. Ken Griffey* (37) 2503 L
    7. Gary Sheffield (38) 2495 R
    8. Luis Gonzalez* (39) 2469 L
    9. Ivan Rodriguez (35) 2449 R
    10. Sammy Sosa (38) 2379 R
    11. Kenny Lofton* (40) 2376 L
    12. Frank Thomas (39) 2343 R
    13. Jeff Kent (39) 2286 R
    14. Derek Jeter (33) 2283 R
    15. Alex Rodriguez (31) 2181 R
    16. Manny Ramirez (35) 2169 R
    17. Garret Anderson* (35) 2137 L
    18. Mike Piazza (38) 2075 R
    19. Chipper Jones# (35) 2044 B
    20. Moises Alou (40) 2040 R

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If Franco can just hang around until he's 70, he'll make it to 3K

3. It shouldn't officially have an impact, but some voters enjoy ignoring things like standards and stats. He'll get a few extra votes based on having about 4,000 hits between the two leagues.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When it's all said and done, I don't think it'll matter if Ichiro's got 3,000 hits or 2,800. His impact for 15 productive years, providing he makes it that long, should be enough to get him in; 3,000 isn't the only parameter for induction.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How many of these guys WON'T make the Hall?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. The only guys on that list who have a shot at 3,000 before the insufferable pair of Yankees are Bonds and, MAYBE, Pudge. If he continues to produce over the next three years as he has the last three years, he'll be right on the doorstep after the 2010 season. Of course, he'll also be 39 that fall, so there's no guarantee he's going to remain this productive, nor that he'll want to stick around to get to 3K. He's a Hall of Famer right this second.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not sure Kent is in either, Buck.
    Very good numbers but was never really considered the best player on his own team let alone a dominant player.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Other than Hornsby, and maybe Morgan, he's one of the best hitting second basemen in baseball history, and certainly of his era (Alomar included). As much as I can't stand the guy, I have to believe he's in.

And the best player on his own team is a pretty damn tough standard when he's playing with one of the top 5 players ever.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I interviewed Biggio in Phoenix once after the Astros beat the D-backs. He had a bucket of Coronas by his locker and offered me one when I asked if he had a second. Great interview.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree with the stupid old shithead Spnited. Kent has put up HOF-caliber #s, particularly for a 2B, but he's got a journeyman's resume, he didnt do much at all until his 30s and he wasn't the best player on ANY team on which he played, never mind the Bonds teams.

That, and he's a shithead. and not in the me and Spnited way, either.

Manny's also got HOF #s, but he won't go in on the first ballot because he annoys the electorate.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Manny's a fucking lock. Or should be anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted