1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox Sells Waco Trib to Local Family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

Before ya'll get too excited, read again Robinson's quotes about coverage of Baylor. You don't have to read much between the lines to understand that coverage of Baylor (both athletics and university) just got a lot less aggressive. And with Baylor setting the tone for so much in Waco, I'm not so sure as some that this is a great step forward.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I talked to a Waco Trib reporter tonight, and he said that positive stories about Baylor are already being suggested. However, he said, he's just damn glad to still have a job, and I bet a lot of his co-workers feel the same way.

3. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

A little more for the Waco employees to chew over ...

http://www.wacotrib.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2009/08/01/RobinsonFrontpage.html

"In God We Trust" got the play on Romenesko, but the real message from the new boss got overlooked. Some excerpts:

"The Waco Tribune-Herald ... needs local ownership and tweaking as it moves into a new age."

"Cox Enterprises [the outgoing owner] has well served the broad Waco community," Robinson writes, but he makes plain his view of that stewardship with his comparison of it to the previous ownership, by the Harlon Fentress family, whose "long and successful ownership was created by honest and fair reporting, expressing opinions on hot issues generally homogenous [sic] with the opinions of readers in the universe it served. ..."

"It’s time for a change, and hopefully our values and opinions will be well received by our advertisers and readers."

What values would those include?

"Insurance, investments and real estate. Philanthropy is also an important mission, supporting animal rescue, civic projects, scholarships, McLennan Community College and Baylor University."

Journalism and accountability are notable by their absence from that list, and indeed the entire memo. So is public service.

Glad to have a job or not, I'm not sure the folks in the Waco newsroom signed up for coverage of puppies, the Lions Club and Clifton Robinson's friends.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the folks in Waco will be just fine with coverage of puppies, Lions Club and Clifton Robinson's friends. His buddies all go to the right church after all.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Eh. I suspect it'll work itself.

Were I in this position, I'd gladly work for a newspaper novice who had A LOT to learn, but saw my face in the office and knew my work, rather than a CEO 3,000 miles away who was completely unaffected not only by the way I covered a particular college, but whether or not I starved as he robbed money out of my pocket to fund his shiny new cable TV venture.

If this guy has editors with common sense and balls, and he's half-way sensible, it'll work itself out. If not, I'd wager that newsroom is still in a far better position than most right now.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He bought a newspaper. How sensible can he be?

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In God We Trust ... in publishers, not so much.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Touche, sir. Touche.

:'(

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This guy won't be any worse than Gannett and most of the chains.
    There's no way you can criticize this, no way, not in today's climate.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Coverage of puppies is one thing. Coverage by them is another altogether.

Sunday's Waco Trib featured a column 'written by' Clifton Robinson's dog, Annie Poo.

http://www.wacotrib.com/search/content/news/opinion/stories/2009/10/04/10042009wactopcolumn1.html

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is disturbing on many levels, beginning with a dog named Annie Poo and then going from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted