1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox NC papers sold to Cooke Communications...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lesboulez, Jul 20, 2009.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Put it this way: The last time I saw the Key West Citizen (which Cooke saved from Thomson with the money from the Redskins sale), I wanted my change back from the box.

If I want news from or while I'm in the Keys, I read the McClatchy-owned Keynoter (a twice-weekly paper) or one of its sister papers down there.

Sucks for John Jr. ... he has to move from Key West to North Carolina.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

What was wrong with it?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lack of local content on the inside pages. Lots of wire used as filler. Just not good.

Maybe they'll do better when they're not downisland.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Which is funny given that the story published on Rocky Mount's website claims their emphasis is on "local, local, local." But how often is that mantra spouted, then completely ditched when it becomes convenient to cut some people and wire out more of the section?

Best to the good folks in Greenville, Rocky Mount and Elizabeth City is addition to the non-dailies now under this umbrella throughout Eastern North Carolina. And while I know compliments haven't been showered upon Cooke, it HAS to be better than either Heartland or Paxton, two chains which have slashed and burned worthwhile publications throughout North Carolina.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Seems like Cox is getting desperate to get rid of these smaller publications. 11 months without a sale (except, apparently, a couple of the smaller Texas papers), and now Waco, Grand Junction and the N.C. papers have been sold.

I'm gonna guess Cox is basically to the point where they'll take anything for them. I did see third-hand somewhere that Seaton paid about 1/3 of what Cox wanted for Grand Junction.

7. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I love this line:

“Newspapers are not dead. They’re not even ill,” John Kent Cooke told the group. “I’m not worried in the least about the future of this business, particularly here in North Carolina. It’s going to be difficult at times, but we will be successful because we have the same attitude that the Cox people have and that is we’re going to concentrate on our local news....”

I agree that newspapers aren't dead, but when you choke them off at the vine (i.e. refuse to invest ANYTHING in your product), they might as well be ... good luck to the folks down east...

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

The Reflector is my hometown paper. Good luck all.

Draft saved Draft deleted