1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coworker moving south

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Sep 5, 2007.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

One of my coworkers is moving from the north to the red, red south and I'm looking for some quality advice to impart on them. Aside from saluting the confederate flag, saying "get er done" far too much and staying the heck our of hazzard county, what other advice should I sent their way?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't be a douchebag about living the South or look down your nose at Southerners. Relax and enjoy the experience.

(And that's the same type of advice I'd give to a Southerner moving to NYC.)

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Open minded much?

It would be kinda helpful to know a little more specifically where this damn Yankee will land your friend is moving to. There tend to be slight differences between, say, Atlanta, Charleston, Shreveport, Dothan and Clarksdale.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hope it's Starkvegas.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Why is it that I see co-worker in a thread title and immediately look for Boots' name?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't ask Mizzou for advice on dealing with the South

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

And don't ask for a "pop," or you just might get one – in the kisser.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

No self-respecting Southerner eats instant grits. Waffle House grits are disgusting, too. With that in mind, I have no clue.

Oh yeah, and make sure to use air quotes when discussing/debating "states' rights."

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

- Avoid saying "y'all" in an attempt to maintain a northern accent
    - Make sure there's room for a gun rack inside the car
    - Enjoy the experience and hospitality of the south

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

Thanks for the help. Nothing against Southerners ... just looking for a few funny things to send their way.

Nice call on the grits.

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

enjoy the sweet tea. It's a staple at many restaurants.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There was a good question above. Where exactly are they going? It makes a big difference. Big city or small? Even among the big cities, you will find big differences -- say, between Atlanta and New Orleans.

Draft saved Draft deleted