1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 16, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not sports, but I loved the former late-night guy on KMOX out of St. Louis for that same reason. He'd allow one caller per night to ask how he was doing, and he'd answer the question.

Each caller thereafter who asked would be greeted with, "That's already been established" and either hang up on them or be a pretty rude prick the rest of the call.

Liut likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I really, really wish Mutual Radio Network had held onto the old Larry King Show's from radio and packaged them to Sirius or someone. Great guests and some of the late night moonbats who called were great.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was always amused the Larry wouldn't pay for the call to his show.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Tom Leykis would do something similar. When a caller asked "how are you," he replied "Do you care?" Most said "no."

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Back when Kornheiser still took calls, he would do the same thing. Anyone who said anything along the lines of "Hi Tony, how you doing?," would be hung up on immediately.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Let the connection ring. We'll answer when it's your turn....

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Our joke of a sports radio station out here has switched from ESPN to FOX to CBS in the last 3 years

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As someone noted a few pages back, ESPN Radio makes you air Mike & Mike in order to carry their other programming. So if your local station wants to have a local morning show, they can't be an ESPN affiliate.

Along those lines, a buddy of mine who owns a small radio station was interested in carrying the Atlanta Braves during the summer when nothing much was going on locally, but they told him he had to carry all 162 games. If he did that, he couldn't broadcast local high school sports if it conflicted with the Braves. So he said "no thanks."

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One on One Sports became Sporting News Radio, which became Yahoo Sports. It's all the same network.

Todd Wright used to be on overnight on various networks and I enjoyed his show. No idea what he's doing now. Bob Kemp is doing radio in Arizona, or was.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Here comes Tony's Mailbag, got your e-mail, faxes, and your notes
    Here comes Tony's Mailbag, he's gonna read some for all you folks

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Early ESPN Radio was great, especially Tony Bruno. Got to be something going on with the way he bounces from job to job. Also liked Kornheiser when he was on ESPN.

ESPN Radio overnight now sucks. It is just the same hour repeated over and over. It is probably better than Amy Lawrence, though.

Ben Maller doing weekend overnights on Fox was the best sports radio I have ever heard. Probably have to be the type of person to be up at those hours to appreciate it. I think Maller does evenings now unfortunately.

How do Scott Ferrall and JT the Brick have shows with those god awful voices and hots sports takez viewpoints? Tedious.

I wish I had been able to hear Phil Hendrie and more of Coast to Coast.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

His radio show back in his early days at ESPN was pretty good. He was a slightly smarter and less controversial version of Cowherd. I think he's actually an attorney. He just up and disappeared when ESPN moved him to the NASCAR Live or whatever they called it.

Draft saved Draft deleted