1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher quitting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Eh. He won a Super Bowl, which washes away the other failures for me. A class coach from start to finish.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Watching the press conference, and loved Bill Cowher's Pittsburgh shout-out ...

"Yinz know what I mean."

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That was funny. But I'm curious who picks out his sweaters, because they all typically seem hideous, like this one.

Class act by the Rooneys, giving him a miniature Lombardi Trophy on the way out.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Now here's a question. Is the Steelers coaching job one of the most sought-after positions? I would say so, given the team one of the classiest ownerships, the team is stacked with superstars and the coaching track record of longetivity.

5. I thought Cowher proved during the presser that he was indeed a total class act. I was taken back a bit by how easy a decision it was for him. I, for one, will miss him on the sidelines for the black and gold.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Well, it's nice to see that even when somebody leaves the Steelers, people will still make up stuff about them. Some things never change.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

When the Steelers "were struggling?"
    They were in the AFC championship game in 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2005. They were in the playoffs in 1992, 1993, 1996, 2002.
    Not much struggling going on there.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Playing in the AFC championship game is not a failure. Going 3-13 is failure. Losing that game is a disappointment, and Steelers fans got disappointed more than most, but it beats what Redskins, 49ers and Cowboys fans have been through for the past decade. If you don't recognize how easy it is to fall off the mountaintop, just remember what it used to be like for them.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Cowher has a closet full of Cosby sweaters. He must've raided the Coogi factory one summer. What a Pittsburgh accent too. Sad day as a Steelers fan. Win or lose, it was nice that my team had some consistency, an identity that transcended a certain era or player. Cowher Power forever baby.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I certainly hope there's nothing to that rumor. But it was going around.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maintaining a relationship and raising children certainly takes up more time than bootsing some Pittsburgh skank in a dirty motel room.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There was some talk of his job being in jeopardy when they missed the playoffs three consecutive seasons before going to the AFC title game in 2001. I think they had losing records twice in that stretch.

Of course, the Rooneys did the right thing sticking with him, but some other organizations are impatient enough that they might have made a change.

Draft saved Draft deleted