1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher, back to Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Jan 10, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Because it's another challenge. He's won a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh, now see if it was him or the people surrounding him in another town.

2. I see what you are saying, but I still don't think it's about the money. Cowher comes across as a very honest man, as shown during his press conference, and for someone who was able to keep most of the media and fanbase off his back when he decided to walk away from the franchise, I think he would be able to pull off moving on to a place like Cleveland without being hated by everyone in Pittsburgh, or at least the mas majority. He has not only garnered a great coaching record while with the Steelers, but respect as well. Sure, some will hate him for it, but that respect that most have for him will carry a lot of weight. I guess I don't know for sure how I would feel about this until I see him donning that pathetic orange hat, but something in me says my respect for him would force me to not resent him for the move. In a perfect world, our replacement coach would lead the team to two magnificent playoff runs, get courted away by the redskins for 12 mil a year, and Cowher decides to come back to the Steelers. But, that's just a perfect world. ;D

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

cleveland? thats funny.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can find a challenge at Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State (once Tressel takes over the Browns, haha), a number of other BCS-level college programs in the region that likely will be seeking coaches in the next five to seven years. You can make $2 million or $3 million per and maybe even hit the golf course every week or two (though I don't see Cowher as the golfer type).

It's not like Cowher will want to walk into a rebuilding situation. The Steelers had some talent at the end of the Noll era, enough for him to turn it to a playoff team his first year there. What's in it for him, besides a bunch of headaches and a tarnished resume, if he takes over the Texans or Cardinals?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>"What's in it for him, besides a bunch of headaches and a tarnished resume, if he takes over the Texans or Cardinals?"</i>

If you go into an impossible situation and succeed, you're God.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And the odds are ... ?

See: Stengel, Casey; New York Mets.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Steelers fans cheered when Terry Bradshaw got hurt...and that was AFTER he led the team to four Super Bowl championships. This is a different generation, but the fans haven't changed. Most would turn on Cowher in a heartbeat if he went to Cleveland.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see Cowher coaching college ball. He's an NFL coach and I think that's where he will end up in a year or two.

And the Steelers were pretty bad in Noll's last season. They had some talent, but Cowher did a lot to turn that team around. That and unlike Noll, he was willing to put up with Barry Foster's flaws and make him a feature back anyway. Foster was a beast in 1992, Cowher's first season.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A. He'll be able to do much, much better than Houston.

B. The Cardinals will never pay enough to get a coach who's actually in demand. Winning is pretty low on the list of goals for the Bidwill family.

3. The only people who will take the Oakland job will be coaches who cannot conceivably get a job anywhere else, and it will remain that way until Al Davis is proven dead.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would love to see that deranged-looking Rob Ryan become the coach of the Raiders.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Chances are a hell of a lot better for a sharp 50-year old in the parity-driven NFL than they may have been for a 72-year-old man running an expansion team.

The Jets were 1-15 in Rich Kotite's last year. Bill Parcells took them to 9-7 in his first year, 12-4 in his second. God.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Rich Kotite also was a horrible coach. That '96 Jets team also was hit by injuries,

Draft saved Draft deleted