1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboys reporter out here spiking footballs of her own.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Sep 13, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I didn't come from money. I suppose my targets were set low: I just want to be able to pay my bills and take a trip every once in a while, while having good friends. That's all I need. It's been to my detriment, sure, but I'm ok with being an "underachiever."

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Years ago at a former job there was a printed out sign on a copier advising something or other with an added notation in tiny type: "Don't kern this sign, Eddie".

I still don't know what that was about.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Sort of tangential, I suppose, but you can always tell the former preps writers in press boxes these days. They never came from money or had golden spoons in their mouths and they're the older ones still grinding at this dumbass profession (myself certainly included). There aren't any young former prep writers anymore.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Talk of kerning gives me PTSD. Had a former sports editor who when trying to shoehorn a story to fit the space, instead of searching out and kerning grafs that had a single word or two on the last line, would highlight the entire story, then do the knucklebuster+< and kern the entire damn thing until it fit.

He got into a near-shouting match with a caller who complained about a couple of grafs in one story being almost impossible to read because it was smashed together so tight.

Slacker, Tarheel316 and I Should Coco like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I lived the job 24/7 for 23 years. Wouldn't change a thing.

Also missed a lot.

Also wouldn't trade it for the world.

Got out at the right time.

Not the same profession.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I remember sports editors who would do that with MLB box scores, schedules and other stuff on the agate page. They would hit command-A and squeeze everything down to -80 or whatever it took to save a line or two. It made the Scoreboard page unreadable.

I’d do the page and (gasp!) cut out a meaningless transaction or two. Or the names of umpires. Nobody but the sports editors ever noticed.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Way to cost a scholarship for the player released from Single-A Bumfuck or the fill-in third base umpire, ASSHOLE!!!!!

OscarMadison, garrow, SFIND and 3 others like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I know all the Quark and InDesign tricks and used them back in the day: kerning, type size, and proportion. You could go between 97% and 103% and not detect a big difference while flushing hed decks.

Slacker likes this.
  9. Songbird

The perverting of heds and kerning and the like, on deadline, was one of the great joys.

As was the 2-minute warning of agate dumping (if you hadn't set the page up early in the shift).

OscarMadison and playthrough like this.
  10. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm a former preps writer who is still pretty young. But I'm an anomaly.

And I think that goes back to the beginning of this thread. When I was coming up even just a decade ago, there were a ton of reporters who showed me the ropes and how to act in and out of the newsroom. With newsrooms getting younger and losing more resources, people are getting thrown into jobs without having any idea of how to operate inside of them. And so we see reporters publicly feeling things out and learning what they should and shouldn't do.

SFIND likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Speaking of learning, in the bad old days we'd write a gross of high school game capsules on a busy night. One guy (NOT me) tested whether anyone (including editors) actually read them, ending a baseball write-up with "and that was the whole can of corn."

It got zero reaction from readers or edit staff.

12. Songbird

Great (and funny) way to end it. Kudos to him. Did he ever go on to bigger and better things?

Draft saved Draft deleted