1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering the SEC meeting in Destin?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 31, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Obviously, if David Climer of Nashville is the only one there, he's not going to out himself.

But I was curious how media-friendly that event was, if it's worth covering in person.

One of my guys says he's heard it's tough to cover. Too much sitting around outside of closed doors.

I've never gotten the sense that AP really did that great a job on it, and there's so much going on there.

2. While you're waiting for those closed doors to open, go grab a beer at McGuire's Irish pub.... best place in town

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I think the beat writers from the bigger papers are there. I know at least two Georgia writers are there, though not Athens, and I'm sure there are three or four Bama writers on hand.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have gone in recent years past for my paper, and we have one of our writers down there this weekend -- working on both any breaking news items, as well as projects for near- and long-term. It is a gold mine of sourcing, but like any mining process, requires more sitting in front of closed doors than lounging poolside waiting for the news to come to you.

I am just happy that my paper continues to ante up the $$$ for us to do it. We know our competition is there, too ...

rb

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

With all the dollar bills in the ceiling. Nice place.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I've covered meetings for several different conferences. Typically, there's a group of 10 or more reporters around from the bigger papers that cover a conference. There's a few more than that at the SEC. Usually, the conference will set up group interview opportunities for some folks. Other than that, it's definitely a mad-dash to grab somebody coming out of a meeting.

If your paper is serious about covering a college beat, it's worth going -- if for no other reason than making contacts.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Second the thought on McGuire's. If he's still working there, ask the bartender Ted to make you an Irish Wake.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Uhh, downtown Pensacola is a good lil' drive from Destin (probably 20-30 minutes), but other than that, it's a great place. Excellent, excellent steaks.
    Also, Flounder's on Pensacola Beach has great seafood - owned by the same people.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I covered one league meeting. Want to gouge my eyes out.

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Pensacola is an hour from Destin, or much more depending on time of day.

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

There is a McGuire's in Destin, but it's about 20-30 minutes away from the Hilton Sandestin. Traffic is a beast-only one main east-west route through the area. Pensacola? Try 90 minutes to 2 hours from Sandestin.

They've also moved the Panhandle's Champions Tour event, the former Mike Price Invitational ;D, now known as the Boeing Championship, to one of the courses on the Sandestin property, and it's being held this weekend.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Doubt you'll see the competition with his collar loosened in McGuire's working on his second beer, tho.

Draft saved Draft deleted