1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering the pros ain't what it's cracked up to be ... LAA-BOS baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, May 5, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Now I work for a paper that only does preps, but I can only imagine the hell the reporters in Boston are going through right now.
    It's 2:15 a.m. EST and the Angels and Sox are in the bottom of the 12th. The game is taking so long thanks to a lengthy rain delay and a blown save in the ninth.
    What do you do in this situation? Stories are filed in the east coast and I image the west coast guys are hoping the Sox can get a run on the board so they can make deadline.
    So for the west coast guys, this might be fun, but the east coast guys, man, this has to suck.

2. Rhody31

The fans that are left just serenading Youkilis with "Oh baby Youk, you got what I need" to the tune of Biz Markie.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, been there many, many times. Regular-season game, I punt it after 11:30 for a 12 deadline. It's baseball. There's a game almost every day. Another reason why I have always argued against extra innings in the regular season.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The ump sure was hoping Scutaro would be safe at home so everyone could go home.

I'm watching the game in Cali and the broadcasters are getting loopy. They're wearing wrestling masks.

5. Rhody31

How many guys up there must have groaned when Scutaro got thrown out at home. Are there any SJers there now?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I just got back from the bar and am watching in my Boston hotel...does that count?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No, not fun.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's what I was thinking. No way the LA guys think this is fun.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So do they have an afternoon getaway game today? Now THAT should be some good baseball.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My problem was, like I mentioined in the baseball thread, is we're a PM on the West Coast, but we do sports production at night. I also know that the metro in our area closes its pages for the edition sold in our area around 10:30. Given all that, I told the writer who usually does the agate page to take off when his clock struck midnight, and I'd finish up. But Murphy's Law struck again ... while waiting for that game to finish, a late prep email comes in, and looking at the box score, it was worth remaking a page for ...

And this, my SportsJournalists.com bretheren and sistheren, is why I keep alcohol in the house!

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember having to cover a day-night doubleheader several years back. The first game was a hair over two hours. I filed my gamer and my editor said. Watch, the late game is going to go 15 innings.

Close... It went 14.

I hate baseball. :D

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. 1:35 p.m. EDT first pitch.

Rockies and Padres played a 22-inning game that ended at 1:20 a.m. PDT a few years back. The Rockies played the next day/same day -- in Houston.

Draft saved Draft deleted