1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering Soccer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Greg Pickel, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

Just make sure you don't call it "offsides." That's in football.

In soccer, the proper term is "offside." Take it from a scribe who spent five years as a youth soccer referee.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

For a rookie, this is a quality line.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do not take any over the counter drugs that may cause drowsiness when covering soccer.

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

Refrain from using the phrase "Communist Kickball" to describe soccer.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Or as one of my colleagues once said to a soccer-loving colleague: "Third-world kickball."

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky they kicked it here , they kicked it there, they kicked it everywhere but in the net."

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

-Confirm with team stat keepers as to who scored the goal or goals. Sometimes it's hard to tell who to credit a goal to, especially if the field is a little muddy and the numbers aren't real clear on the back of the jerseys.

-If you're regularly covering a team, gamers will be a breeze after a while. You'll know everybody's tendencies and personalities, so just base a lot of what you do off that.

-If anything quirky happens in the game, focus on that. For instance, I once covered a game where a high school boys team scored a goal less than 10 seconds after the kickoff. I knew it must've been one of the quickest goals in state history, so I consulted the state records for quickest goal online and I was right. It was right up there.

-If it's a scoreless draw in high school, weather or field conditions might have a lot to do with it.

-If a particularly bad injury happens or there are red cards, please don't forget to mention those. Keep tally of yellow cards too. That's a stat parents love to see. ;D

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Gee, the usual suspects are out in force to bash soccer. Color me shocked.

Soccer is like anything else you cover. Attitude is half the battle. In any game, there will be something to write about .. a defensive breakdown that led to the winning goal, for instance.

Draft saved Draft deleted