1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering prep sports - with a child on the team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RacerExaminer, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I never said it wasn't a conflict of interest according to the definition printed in the SPJ guidebook. I just said that sometimes shit happens, and you deal with it.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter the situation. You either don't cover them and retain your professionalism or you do and retain zero credibility.

There is no gray area. It's black and white. The issue is the writer's credibility and the conflict of interest compromises his credibility merely by appearance alone. It doesn't matter what he writes or doesn't write.

After looking at his first story and being completely horrified, I felt totally justified in my opinion. Anyone who disagrees does not understand professionalism.

Get a stringer. Have someone else cover it that is already on staff. Do not cover your own child. Totally unprofessional.

And yes, Snark, he was looking for a pat on the back. Of course there's always a few dimwits to offer one, too.

4. Doc Holliday

You're wrong pal. I'm not even close to 20 something with no family and a fresh degree in hand.

But I am a professional.

5. Shoeless Joe

Then you would be in this part of the breakdown, pal

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Sometimes in small towns, there are limited options. Although hiring a stringer would be one. This guy is a stringer... and there's another school available (if I remember the facts). Switch schools.

I don't care who you are, you cannot cover your own child objectively, even if you think you are. Because just as bad as treating them better than the others, is treating them worse. Somewhere along the way, one, the other or both will creep into your copy.

7. Doc Holliday

Seriously? Pal? You're going to say one thing, then change your tune?

You said nearly all were in that category. Then when I point out that I'm not, you point out a tiny little disclaimer. Whatever. You tried to categorize everyone and got shown the door. Take your dog with you.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Married with kids, and my take on this is the same as when I was 20-something and unmarried with my "fresh" journalism degree. Being a parent shouldn't have an impact on your ability to understand basic journalism ethics.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fine. But given the same reasoning, you should not coach your own child, either.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Professional ethics do not apply to other professions. I have no idea what coaching ethics are.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Huh?

Is it really that complicated? Coaching your own family, at the very least, presents the very same appearance of a conflict of interest. Does the coach's kid get special treatment? Unlike the reporter, the coach is in a very real position to influence the outcomes and the lives of the person involved.

12. Shoeless Joe

That's why I put the tiny little disclaimer in there in the first place. It's called reading comprehension. Look into it. My dog that I am taking with me probably has more.

Draft saved Draft deleted