1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering my first MLB Game, any advice?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Apr 24, 2007.

1. A kid from our county is throwing out the first pitch for an upcoming Cincinnati Reds game. Other than the obvious, what other story ideas/advice do any of you have?

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

What are YOU thinking along the lines of?

3. Make sure your fly is up.

[​IMG]

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Be sure to wear your Reds hat/jersey to the game and ask some players for autographs.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

You know just go in and do your job and have some fun. Its your first experience so don't look into it to much.

Get the story and the info you need for it and then just enjoy the experience. You will learn about doing coverage of a MLB game as you get used to it.

Thats my two cents and like I said emjoy yourself and good luck.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fall asleep in the dugout. 8)

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

cell. phone. camera.

after interviewing players, ask for a quick pic of the two of you in front of their locker. you'll remember the moment forever.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good to see the idiot brigade is out in full force tonight.

Palmetto,

Email the Reds' pr staff. Ask them about availabilities. When is the manager available? When is the clubhouse open? Do any players have special media meet times? If you want to speak to the GM, ask what time is good.

When you get there, observe. Don't "announce your presence" by being an annoying yakker. Just observe.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If another writer is in the midst of a one-on-one interview with a player/manager/coach/GM, do not interrupt. Wait until it is over, then ask the player/manager/coach/GM your question(s).

If a player is coming out of the shower--obviously, this is after the game--wait until he's somewhat dressed before asking a question.

If players are sitting on couches, watching video of their at-bats or another game, wait until they're done before strolling over and asking questions.

10. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

I was in the same situation last summer and started nearly the same thread before I went.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30146/

Some good advice in there once you get past the obligatory sarcastic comments.

11. Tell Josh Hamilton and Marty Brenneman I'm going to interview them in Houston on May 1. Oh, and ask Freel (Farney's lesser half) how his flight home to Florida went with Griffey behind the controls last fall.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's fucking brilliant. some real inside stuff. way to clean it up chief.

Draft saved Draft deleted