1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering John Tortorella

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

One reporter's thoughts from the NY Rangers beat:

http://davelozo.tumblr.com/post/51833408147/one-mans-perspective-on-dealing-with-john-tortorella

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Why on earth would anyone in the general public be interested in this? And not just because hockey is a niche sport.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I get why people would be interested in this. People always want to know what coaches, players, or other famous people "are really like." And besides, it's a blog.

The thing that struck me is, the guy comes across as extraordinarily timid. Tortorella is an asshole. He should not be "scary" if you are any older than about 23. Who gives a shit if a hockey coach likes your question?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It came off as very whiny. Many successful coaches are assholes. Tortorella may be an ass but is he any worse to deal with than Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, or one of many others?

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I couldn't get past the first section.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The article is very poorly written and about 20 times too long, which is too bad because Tortorella is unusually combative even by the standards of asshole coaches. It could have been a really good look.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking. Having seen Tortorella coach a team in my area, he is very combative, and this could have been a really good read. Too bad it missed the mark.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Two truths I have settled on:

(1) Sports writers and reporters ask a lot of really bad questions. A lot. Part of it is the setting. Part of it is the obsolete but rabid drive for "quotes." Part of it is just poor performance.

(2) Coaches and athletes could still stand to be pleasant when answering. There's no need to try to embarrass somebody. It's junior high bullshit.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The best line in the story, and it seems pretty spot-on, from what I have seen. And it also highlights your second point.

Also from the story ... maybe a bit melodramatic, but ...

Draft saved Draft deleted