1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering HS football: from the press box or sidelines?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Nov 9, 2009.

?

When covering a HS football game, do you sit ...

Poll closed Nov 14, 2009.
  1. in the press box.

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. on the sidelines.

39 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

One of the best part of working the sidelines is the camaradarie with other writers ... always help each other with distances, spottings, and the tedium of a blowout ...

this is such a subjective issue ... with no right or wrong ... there are as many reasons for one as for the other ... and that's the groovy thing ... however one feels they can do their job best, that's the way you should do it ... if you're true to the story, and respectful of your deadline, then where ever you choose to plant yourself, that's where you oughta be ... and if stats are your thing, great ... for me, stats rarely tell the story, but the kids always do ... and that's my thing ... 8)

2. Public School

Public School New Member

I've done both, but I prefer the press box. Although I agree when the box is cramped with parents, boosters, etc. that the sidelines are better than that mess. I just find I take better stats in the box and since the school e-mails ME about getting numbers for their guys, I feel like I should be where I work best. But there's really no wrong way to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted