1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering HS football: from the press box or sidelines?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Nov 9, 2009.

?

When covering a HS football game, do you sit ...

Poll closed Nov 14, 2009.
  1. in the press box.

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. on the sidelines.

39 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

How many teachers do they lay off down there, to fund those suites?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good for you. Most papers that cover high schools want just a little more information than that.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He probably waits around for the Podunk High SID intern to bring him the post-game stats ...

4. I've done both and enjoy covering a game from each place for all the various reasons that have been listed. But I actually split it up during the season. I cover the regular season from the sidelines when the monotany of gamers can use some spicing up with some color from the sidelines. During the playoffs when I think fans are more interested in the Xs and Os of why a team won, I go to the pressbox.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He is right about press boxes in Texas, but a sideline when it is about 60 degrees out is heaven.

Some areas just do not have those brisk fall nights during fb season.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

One school I cover has about five yards between the sideline and the first row of bleachers. Okay, it's probably more than that, but not by much. Every time I go down there, I think of that guy in Colorado (who who got injured on a play on the sidelines and may never walk again. (Anyone know how he's doing, by the way?). I like having bail-out room if I have to go to the sidelines. On the other hand, the lights are close to the sideline and to the near hash, it's lit about as well as a college field.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

One of our two schools in town is just the opposite. The newer school in town opened in the early 1960s, and until last year used the cross-town rival's field as their home field. Finally they got lights and stands on their own campus last fall, but there are stands only. No booth, press box, etc. If there's a chance of rain, the AD has to put up one of those pop-up tents for the PA announcer and a second one for radio and TV guys. If no radio or TV show up in theory that would be a makeshift press box, but the team is really good (second in state last year, ranked No. 4 most of this year) so there is usually some radio or TV person present.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

46 years and the booster club couldn't raise enough money for a proper field?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have rarely, if ever, enjoyed covering a high school football game. May be the hardest thing to do as a sports writer if you have to keep the stats, chase down coaches and players and sometimes file within 30 minutes.

I enjoyed it being over, maybe.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Despite all that, covering high school football games has always been my favorite part of covering preps.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. Especially in November (playoff time).

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sideline, mostly because it's EASIER for me to keep stats. I can see numbers and what not much better from field level and I usually tag team with the home team stats guy so we can bounce stuff off each other. Who carried that ball? What yard line? Did you see who recovered that fumble? Stuff like that.

I don't have to blog or anything at prep games, so that helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted