1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering games on your own time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 18, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

WFW, shot...
    absolutely 100 percent dead on. It's about the experience, and definitely some "wow, I remember I got to cover x event..." moments afterwards

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think we liked it because it's true.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You make this sound like some sort of purgatory/hell on earth. For a lot of personal and family reasons, I'm still at the paper where I started 25 years ago, looking at the back side of 45. For a long time, I was the sports slot, and about the only chance I had to cover games and write was the odd NFL game when I'd go on my own time. I also spent time on the copy desk, and I've been doing preps for the past 12 years. I love the preps beat, and I love the community where I live. I haven't done the pro thing in awhile, but if I decide sometime this season to do a game (either on my own or on the clock), I'll do it professionally and with a clear conscience, and I sure as hell won't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted